Brand new coop going up!

Wow! Thats one classy coop,will it also have cable tv and internet?LOLThem must be some spoiled birds,can't let mine see that or they be mighty jealous.Just kidding.Great job!

OH! I never thought of internet in the coop............just think........we could feed our addiction even further that way! LOL

Seriously, though........this coop is incredible! Nice job! I'm anxious to see the stained glass window, too.

:eek:sheesh that is nicer than my house!

your husband is a carpenter then i assume? I am so DEFINITELY not ever putting pictures of my chicken coop up!
he.gif

Did I miss your measurements? Really nice coop. Love the idea of stainglass. Please post a completed picture.. Thanks Dixie

My coop is 8' X 12' and no, my DH is not a carpenter, just a very very capable guy who, if he doesn't know how to wire, build or repair, will get a book or ask a buddy and goes from there. He had no plans for this coop or my last one and is just winging it. I am so proud of him! Sometimes it drives me nuts because detail is so important to him, but it always pays off in the end. We put in the light and outlets, stained glass window and built the roost and nesting boxes today, which will go into the coop tomorrow...along with the chicks!!!!!!! Finally!!!! The shingles aren't on the roof (tar paper is) and the coop won't be painted til it stops pouring out, but I'll take pics tomorrow after we move everything and everybody in. It's been so much fun sharing with all of you!

Sorry it took so long to get back. Computer crashed, plus rain kept us from doing the shingles and painting, but that's not far off, so bear with me! I will post completed coop pics when it and the yard are done. So here goes...here's the roost. It's 4 & 1/2 ft. wide and the roosting boards came from a display at my DHs store that were going to be thrown away.
IMG_0638.jpg
My DH mounted it to hinges on the backwall so that the whole roost can be lifted and propped out of the way for easy floor cleaning. Next pic shows the roost and nesting boxes which are mounted on a cleat on the backwall for easy lift out removal, if needed.
IMG_0642.jpg
This next one shows the added pine shavings on the floor.
IMG_0650.jpg
To the right of the inside of the door, a lg. garbage can stores the food and is covered with a sloped board that they can't roost on. That too is on hinges and has a magnet which when lifted out of the way sticks to the wall for easy access to the food can.
IMG_0648.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg
Next is the front view with the stained glass window.
IMG_0663.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg
This is the chicks view from the inside out. First few moments in their new coop. Kind of like it here!
IMG_0645.jpg
Side view showing the chicken door.

Forgot to post the ones with the chicks on their first day! They love it now! And are even roosting on the big roost logs.
IMG_0652.jpg

Thank you, Deb! It's been a long project, but it's been fun working side by side with my DH. I picked up paint today, so hopefully will get the coop painted in the next few days. DH still has to shingle the roof and shake the upper front and back...then we do the chicken yard. We have to get this done SOON as we're having my son's wedding in our backyard in 3 short weeks. Who needs advance warning, right?!!!! Lord have mercy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom