Brand new duck owner need help!

JayLyn07

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
Litchfield, New York
Hello Brand new duck owner here! I have been raising chickens and thought what a great idea to get some ducks! I have to saxony ducking crosses and they are doing well. Feeding do I have to continue to wet the food can you ever give them dry food? They have food and water at all times! Thanks for your help!

You can start switching over to dry food any time. I like to make any food changes slowly, so since they have moistened food, just add a bowl of dry in there to make sure they get the idea
wink.png
, and pretty soon they will be eating just the dry. As long as there is water available at all times with it, they should be fine.

welcome-byc.gif

I saw this thread and I'm a new duck mom too. So I'm looking for some help too :) what do you do with ducks in the winter? Also what's the niacin for?

I have never given wet food to my ducklings. I cant say they haven't eaten wet food though because they seem to get everything wet...lol

Last edited:
Mine tend to soak the food bowl too...LOL As long as they eat it I don't worry too much. I just keep an eye on it & make sure it's not getting moldy & make sure the bowl goes empty to start fresh at least every other day.

I too have never given wet food? Most of mine have been given a duck starter however i now have a flock raiser since i have birds of varied ages. My newest little one 3wks this friday just copies mum and eats the crumble and forages...

I never fed wet food to my duckling either.

Just make sure they have plenty of water. Talking about this brings back memories of how messy ducks are compared to chicks. Mine used to take big beakfulls of food, then run over to the drinker, and drop it in, mix it all about, then scoop it up, shake their heads, splattering the walls and floor with slimy food! Then they would do it again and again as fast as they cold, back and forth.

Finally they would love to stamp it all about in the brooder, lay in the mess, and rub it all over their feathers before going to sleep. Yuck! Now I let my ducks raise their own ducklings on the pond......much easier for me!

Back
Top Bottom