Brand new duck owner need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JayLyn07, May 21, 2012.

1. JayLyn07

JayLyn07 In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Litchfield, New York
    Hello Brand new duck owner here! I have been raising chickens and thought what a great idea to get some ducks! I have to saxony ducking crosses and they are doing well. Feeding do I have to continue to wet the food can you ever give them dry food? They have food and water at all times! Thanks for your help!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I have never given mine wet food at all, just dry high protien NON MEDICATED chick starter

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You can start switching over to dry food any time. I like to make any food changes slowly, so since they have moistened food, just add a bowl of dry in there to make sure they get the idea [​IMG], and pretty soon they will be eating just the dry. As long as there is water available at all times with it, they should be fine.

[​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    Have you also been giving Niacin? [​IMG]

5. ldutch123

ldutch123 Songster

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I saw this thread and I'm a new duck mom too. So I'm looking for some help too :) what do you do with ducks in the winter? Also what's the niacin for?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Here is a link to some great info. http://www.liveducks.com/duckcare.html

7. Missy60

Missy60 Chirping

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I have never given wet food to my ducklings. I cant say they haven't eaten wet food though because they seem to get everything wet...lol

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Mine tend to soak the food bowl too...LOL As long as they eat it I don't worry too much. I just keep an eye on it & make sure it's not getting moldy & make sure the bowl goes empty to start fresh at least every other day.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I too have never given wet food? Most of mine have been given a duck starter however i now have a flock raiser since i have birds of varied ages. My newest little one 3wks this friday just copies mum and eats the crumble and forages...

10. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I never fed wet food to my duckling either.

Just make sure they have plenty of water. Talking about this brings back memories of how messy ducks are compared to chicks. Mine used to take big beakfulls of food, then run over to the drinker, and drop it in, mix it all about, then scoop it up, shake their heads, splattering the walls and floor with slimy food! Then they would do it again and again as fast as they cold, back and forth.

Finally they would love to stamp it all about in the brooder, lay in the mess, and rub it all over their feathers before going to sleep. Yuck! Now I let my ducks raise their own ducklings on the pond......much easier for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: