Brand new member! I love this website and community!

chickenchayser

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Hello! I'm a new member and I wanted to introduce myself! I have had chickens for a few years now and I just love them!!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I had been exposed to chickens my whole life here and there and my great grandpa was a dairy farmer back in the day who would have had some kind of chickens at some point as well. It was not until I got married in 2018 that I took a real interest in raising my own chickens for egg production. I also have experience in large operation, conventional raising of broiler chickens when I worked for my brother-in-law's poultry operation in 2017. Poultry in general are some of my favorite animals out there! They are all so unique and each have amazing purposes!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
About 24

(3) What breeds do you have?
Americauna (two types), Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Red, Black sexlinks, Red sexlink, Silver-laced Wyandotte, Sapphire Gem, Lavender Orpington, Chocolate Orpington, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, etc

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The freedom to choose how to treat them or what to do with them when they are sick or too old unlike being with an industrial-sized operation!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hiking, singing, gardening, floristry, learning new things, and farming!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have been married for 3 years as of August 11 to my husband who has the same goal as me: to expand our horizons eventually by becoming full-time farmers. He is a local truck driver at this time and I am currently working a lawn care job but hope to get a job in the office at my husband's job soon! We also have 5 cats who are so lovely and cuddly but also amazing predators to our field mice! They keep the property free of unwanted, harmful critters. :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I found the Backyard Chickens website when I went to search something for my chickens one day. Come to find out, this wonderful resource is a community of chicken people!! haha Just what I need in my life! I joined because I need to be better connected to sources that enable me to be a better chicken owner and egg producer!

I look forward to getting to know y'all!

Back
Top Bottom