What your goat favorite treat

• Popsicles(Homemade)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I LOVE goats. They were one of the first farm animals we got on our little homestead. Although mine are really just pets more than anything but we are moving our way slowly out of the negative with them :p

So a few things, if you're wanting to breed and be profitable at all you'll want to pick out purebred goats and get something desirable in your area. Around me (Ohio) unregistered babies sell for about $100 for bucks/wethers and $150-200 for does where registered sell for $500+for most breeds. Then you need to consider how you're going to set things up and your space. You'll want to separate mom and babies at least for a bit when babies are born. If you don't have other goats that can be really stressful on your buck and he could try to escape.

For us we have 3 does to our 1 buck and they run together almost 24/7. When he's alone he still is with our donkeys and mini horses but he is rarely alone. We are planning to move him to a bachelor pad this summer and we are going to get a second buck.

A big thing not about breeding you'll want to learn how to do is hoof trimming. This is generally done by the owner although I'm sure you can pay someone to do it for you. This takes some practice so watch videos and find a mentor if you can. Personally I couldn't find a mentor and I started with a doe with terrible feet so I had to learn fast.

Bucks can also stink really bad around breeding time. This is not for the faint of heart.

If these are your first experiences with goats it may be a good idea to start by whethering him so you can start without the buck shenanigans and learn about keeping goats. He'll make an awesome pet then and allow you to learn. You can "rent" bucks when you're ready to breed the future does

EDIT: Forgot to add favorite treats!! My goats prefer plain animal crackers. I get big 5lb tubs of them and keep them out there and my kids give them a couple on occasion.

Last edited:
I LOVE goats. They were one of the first farm animals we got on our little homestead. Although mine are really just pets more than anything but we are moving our way slowly out of the negative with them :p

So a few things, if you're wanting to breed and be profitable at all you'll want to pick out purebred goats and get something desirable in your area. Around me (Ohio) unregistered babies sell for about $100 for bucks/wethers and $150-200 for does where registered sell for $500+for most breeds. Then you need to consider how you're going to set things up and your space. You'll want to separate mom and babies at least for a bit when babies are born. If you don't have other goats that can be really stressful on your buck and he could try to escape.

For us we have 3 does to our 1 buck and they run together almost 24/7. When he's alone he still is with our donkeys and mini horses but he is rarely alone. We are planning to move him to a bachelor pad this summer and we are going to get a second buck.

A big thing not about breeding you'll want to learn how to do is hoof trimming. This is generally done by the owner although I'm sure you can pay someone to do it for you. This takes some practice so watch videos and find a mentor if you can. Personally I couldn't find a mentor and I started with a doe with terrible feet so I had to learn fast.

Bucks can also stink really bad around breeding time. This is not for the faint of heart.

If these are your first experiences with goats it may be a good idea to start by whethering him so you can start without the buck shenanigans and learn about keeping goats. He'll make an awesome pet then and allow you to learn. You can "rent" bucks when you're ready to breed the future does

EDIT: Forgot to add favorite treats!! My goats prefer plain animal crackers. I get big 5lb tubs of them and keep them out there and my kids give them a couple on occasion.
Thank you for the information
BTW is that your dog as your profile pic or some one elses

Back
Top Bottom