Brand Newbie/Incubation Question

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
Hello from Michigan. I get a broody hen each year for new chicks, but wanted to try incubating. The incubator I bought says to spray eggs with water days 14-18 2-4 times a day. It came with a small spray bottle. Is this necessary? I hate to open the incubator too much. TIA!

Hello from Michigan. I get a broody hen each year for new chicks, but wanted to try incubating. The incubator I bought says to spray eggs with water days 14-18 2-4 times a day. It came with a small spray bottle. Is this necessary? I hate to open the incubator too much. TIA!
It's not necessary.. but *may* increase hatch rate.

I've never done it and still have gotten some 100% hatch.. but every time is different.. due to different eggs.

You need not worry about opening the bator too much.. some cooling during candling and such also has been shown to increase hatch rate.. just remember that in nature the hen must leave the nest to eat, drink, poop, dust bath etc. Some may do it only once, while other will twice, possibly depending on weather and/or the hen. The biggest threat is dropping eggs during candling.

My favorite incubation/hatching resource (aside from BYC) has tons of technical information..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

The following has some links that no longer work but some really useful and helpful information still..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/

What bator are you working with and what humidity did the instructions suggest? Also what breed or egg color(s) are you incubating/hatching?

Welcome to chicken calculus level math and happy hatching! :jumpy

It's not necessary.. but *may* increase hatch rate.

I've never done it and still have gotten some 100% hatch.. but every time is different.. due to different eggs.

You need not worry about opening the bator too much.. some cooling during candling and such also has been shown to increase hatch rate.. just remember that in nature the hen must leave the nest to eat, drink, poop, dust bath etc. Some may do it only once, while other will twice, possibly depending on weather and/or the hen. The biggest threat is dropping eggs during candling.

My favorite incubation/hatching resource (aside from BYC) has tons of technical information..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

The following has some links that no longer work but some really useful and helpful information still..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/

What bator are you working with and what humidity did the instructions suggest? Also what breed or egg color(s) are you incubating/hatching?

Welcome to chicken calculus level math and happy hatching! :jumpy
Wow, thank you so much for the fast and informative reply. I have attached photos of the incubator and the instructions for chicken eggs. The eggs are a barnyard mix. I have 15 layers and no rooster, so I get fertile eggs from my neighbor every summer when I have a broody and give them to her. This year I gave her 2 and am incubating the rest. It’s def more stressful than I anticipated and I’m only on day 4 😑. I have ordered a hygrometer and will put that in there when it arrives In a few days.

Attachments

• 33C49D0D-A48E-445C-9C33-1E6A76601194.jpeg
    33C49D0D-A48E-445C-9C33-1E6A76601194.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2F8483A9-728E-4F69-82F6-6329EF4E721D.jpeg
    2F8483A9-728E-4F69-82F6-6329EF4E721D.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 5
. I have attached photos of the incubator and the instructions for chicken eggs. The eggs are a barnyard mix.
70% long term would see malpositioned chicks, wrong end pips, and most chicks likely drowning at pip.

Aim for 45% humidity for the first 18 days.. or stay between 35-55 as much as possible. Then aim for 65% for hatch. Make sure vents are fully open the whole time. That should be a happy medium for different color and sized (chicken) eggs.

Prior to receiving your hygrometer.. completely dry with no water inside my wells (but eggs loaded in), my bator runs about 30 points lower than my ambient humidity. I guess that doesn't tell anything about how much each well would otherwise effect it. A few days slightly off one way or the other shouldn't have extreme consequences. but if you're already on day 4, a few more days is a week.. Alternatively.. this could have been calculated for adjustment by weighing the eggs before and after and adjusting humidity up or down depending on weight loss (in case anyone else happens across this while also waiting on a hygrometer or doesn't have one at all and does happen to have a food scale)..

I think the first time is always the most intimidating. Also very exciting!

Back
Top Bottom