1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bread Can Kill or hotdogs???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ErinMari, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ErinMari

ErinMari Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Michigan
    well I have two questions

1.) My brother said that bread will kill my chickens becasue the grain will expand and kill them or some thing like that, Is this possible or True???

2.)I feed my chickens hotdogs is that healthy for them, because they seem to really like them![​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Bread wont hurt them I feed mine bread often. No clue about hotdogs, Ive never tried it.

3. ErinMari

ErinMari Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Michigan
    they attack the hot dogs litterally usually they dont bite you but if you walk any where near them with a hot dog they will fly up and bite your hand thinking its the hotdog! its so funny to watch you should try it but dont buy expensive ones because after one its hallirous to watch them we have generic brand hotdogs for them that we only feed them to them every once and a while! but its fun![​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Breads are one of their most favorite treats ask anybody, they love em, hot dogs also will not hurt them.

AL

5. unclejoe

unclejoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Dillsburg, Pa
    Mine get bread almost every day and I've never had any sick birds. I tear it up and watch them fight over it. It's actually pretty comical as they grab a piece and run with it. Once they get it down they run back for more. It's a bit like a shark feeding frenzy. [​IMG]

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    bread expanding? Could you please send him to my classroom...we gots some splaining to do! dry rice expands...bread not so much...hot dogs...yummy...I don't share though!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Bread will not expand and kill your bird. Bread fed to birds all the time WILL make them unhealthy eventually.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's a complete myth that pretty much any food will expand and kill the animal. The same has been said of rice and similar foods. It doesn't happen. It may absorb some moisture but it won't hurt the animal.

I doubt hot dogs are really healthy but the occasional hot dog won't harm them any.

9. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    A couple of years ago where we used to live - I had some oegb - about ten - And then I had a large Game hen . When kids would come over I told them that I had chickens that played football- They would laugh and say your crazy!! So I would send one of my kids in the house for a couple of hot dogs!! I would break off about a third of a hot dog and throw it in the pen. The first one who grabbed it made a dash for the field goal with the other ones running right behind them. Then another one would grab it from the first one and and then they would all run to the other end and so and and so forth. The old game hen would just watch and when a oppurtunity came up she would grab the hot dog and jump up on a dog cage and eat her meal in peace while the little banties ran around trying to figure out what happened to the hotdog (football) LOL

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Cute story I bet the kids had fun with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by