Bread?

harri

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Rhode Island
Hi, My FIL is friendly with the manager @ a local sandwich shop and is able to get us bread they throw out. I have feed the girls the white and wheat rolls, but my ? is can they have the other breads like garlic, onion, sesame, etc.?
thanks
Jim

I often feed my birds our table scraps and I always cook with lots of onion and garlic. So far no one has become sick over it....sure hope i haven't messed up by doing that!

Some people say that by feeding your chickens garlic and onions, that their eggs then take on that taste. Personally, I have never noticed. I would just mention that if you do feed them excess bread to really limit what you give them (with any treats) The more snacks they get reduces the amount layer pellets they eat and then reduces the number of eggs that you will get and overall nutrition will be comprimised a bit. But it sounds like a great way to take advantage of some free food and use it to suppliment your chickens. You could also freeze some for when the supply runs low and give some to the wild birds too! Enjoy your free gifts!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Every thing in moderation. You can usually tell if your over doing it with the treats cuz the eggs will either look funny shellwise or they let up laying. I buy bread at an outlet store as "bird bread" for a $1.25 a bag and usually get 4 -5 loaves.

Back
Top Bottom