Breakfast is served!

ccw2005

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Covington, Georgia
This morning while feeding my son found a snake in the barn where we keep our supplies. I went to inspect and saw an Eastern King Snake and chased him around until he slipped out of the barn. My son is 9 so the rest of the morning was spent explaining how many snakes benefit us in ways we never think about. A few hours later we went to do an egg collection and in the chicken coop was the long black Eastern King sitting in a nest right next to setting hens. He was on a nest with a few eggs in it and I could tell by the size of the snake that he had helped himself to a bite to eat. I got the snake out and as I was carrying it he began to spit up egg.

Now, I have no problem exchanging a few eggs for rodent protection. However, I have no idea how much this protection will cost me in the form of eggs. Does anyone have any information on what would constitute a typical meal for a snake between 5 or 6 feet in length? He is a fat one, and I think I know why.

Hey there,

Lovely snake, first off are you sure it's a Lampropeltis getula (black eastern king) as they have yellowish chain link like bands across the back off their body, and it depends how old the snake is if it's young and hunting it will be power eating where as if it's over 3 years of age it will give or take a few days eating every 2 weeks, they are fascinating snakes as they eat other snakes and are immune to venom!

Last edited:
I do believe it to be the eastern king. The photo does not do it justice. It is black with faint white bands, or better to say white blotches on the body. I have ruled out the eastern black racer due to the huge body this guy had. Also, the eastern indigo snake was a suspicion but I doubt I would have one of these in this part of Georgia. I have read that some eastern kings could be all black, to black with faint white markings in the mountainous areas. I am not in the mountains, but very close! Other snakes I have on our property are water snakes, copper heads and cottonmouths.

Anyway, your information on the eating I hope to be correct. This boy I would say is full grown so I hope he will only visit ever two weeks or so. I would gladly give a few eggs to him as long as the mice and poisonous snakes are kept away!

I would take it off your hands. Beautiful and useful snakes. It is hard to keep snakes out of the coop/run. One good thing, king snakes don't climb as well or frequent as rat snakes.

Back
Top Bottom