Breakfast with our own eggs for the very first time!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MadChickensVT, Oct 2, 2011.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    We had a hen start laying 8 days ago. We're still not sure who it is. We have a suspicion it's one of our Black Austrolorpes because I saw her in the pen in the garage shortly before I found one of the eggs. They'll be out in their new coop soon. She's been laying one per day except for skipping a day last week. We also think we might have a second hen starting to lay because I found a second egg for the day when I was putting the chickens away this evening. Unfortunately it was broken, so I cleaned it up before any of the chickens got a taste. It was hard to tell if it was the same shape and size as the others.

This morning we decided that 7 of these little eggs should be enough to scramble up for our Sunday morning breakfast. I cooked while my wife kept our almost-4 month old daughter busy. We've both been wanting to get chickens for a long time, so we were very excited to finally be eating our own eggs! We really enjoy good food [​IMG]

Here they are, our first 7 eggs! Made from weeds, bugs, and who knows what from our yard and a very little bit of organic layer pellets. I'm only giving them one big scoop of feed per day since they have plenty in the yard to eat. It's a good way to lure them back inside at night. They come running when they hear the garage door, and in the last couple weeks I've been ringing a cow bell so I can use that with the new coop. I've started leaving the garage door slightly open all day since we started finding eggs so that the hens can go inside whenever they want. When it's time for them to come in for the night I've been leaving the door alone and just using the bell to summon them inside. It works great.
    [​IMG]

I broke them into a bowl. They had really strong membranes that didn't break when the shell did. I had to use my thumbs to break them open all the way.
    [​IMG]

Scrambled and cooking! I also cooked up some nice nitrate-free uncured bacon and toasted some organic sprouted wheat bagels.
    [​IMG]

Let's eat!
    [​IMG]

The eggs were delicious, even though it's hard to compete with BACON [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Awesome....completely awesome!

Congratulations on the first egg and for all the rest, too. [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congratulations!! Aren't they just the best?!!! Enjoy! Thanks for sharing with us too. [​IMG]

4. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    dont you love it when ur pets make you brakefast? lol [​IMG]

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Congrats on the 1st eggs!!! It took awhile to convince my DH to get a couple of hens, but once he ate the "fruits" of their labors, he was all in! [​IMG] Nothing like growing what you eat.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    May it be the first of a life long tradition!!

7. Chickydoo

Chickydoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Fox Island, WA
    Such a good feeling! Success![​IMG]

8. STLchicken-chick

STLchicken-chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Contrats!!! We had our first scrambled eggs this weekend as well... so exciting!!!

9. marty8587

marty8587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Iused to not eat breakfast, but the Doc put me on some Meds temporrarily that I have to eat with so I started making a little breakfast sandwich with ham swiss and an egg fried w/fine chopped onion put on the upside before flipping. The Meds are gone, but breakfast has stayed. I just needed to improve my habbits. ENJOY!!!!

10. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

love it...i remember our first time..well done and make sure you give your gilrs a treat for that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by