Breaking Mabel - the Broody Buff Orpington

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Backgrounder: She is 27 weeks of age. I have no rooster - there's no sense letting her sit on infertile eggs.

Day 1 - Wednesday 9/2: Mabel the Buff Orpington is on the nest in the morning - no big deal. She is still there when I get home last night. Move her off the nest and take all eggs.

Day 2 - Thursday 9/3: Mabel on the nest this morning - today is an "at home" day for me, so I'm able to monitor her. Take her off the nest and take eggs away. She keeps going back. I keep taking her off and carry her to a region of my back yard remote from the hen house. She keeps going back to the nest, and fluffs up and growls when I or another hen come near.

2:45 CST - I remove her from the nest and sequester her in the "hospital coop" - a Ware Chicken Coop under the eaves of my house. She has food and water in the brig. She is not pleased with this arrangement. I plan to put her on the roost in the hen house tonight at "lights out" and see how tomorrow goes.

Leave her in the brig for two or three days, then monitor her when you let her out. If she heads straight to the nest, give her a couple more days with food and water. It helps to elevate the brig so she gets cool underneath and the brig being in bright light also helps.

I think you are doing the right thing by breaking her. Being broody is hard on them. There is no reason for her to suffer if she is not going to hatch eggs.

lol.png
Your post title sounded like a children's book title.

I had a persistant broody, she lasted about two months. Good luck!

I put her on the roost in the main hen house after dark tonight - we'll see how tomorrow goes. Thanks Ridgerunner for the suggestion to leave her in the brig for several days - I'll probably have to do that. It is elevated with a wire bottom, so the air can get under her fine, and it is in a bright spot, so I'm hoping it will work.

Cuban Longtails - hello friend! Yikes - it could take that long to break her? I guess we'll see who's more stubborn - I might end up trying to find some fertile eggs around here to let her sit on if she's really determined.

Back
Top Bottom