Breaking my broody hens - question about where they lay their eggs

Virginiachickens

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2024
Quick question that may already have been answered somewhere but I dont see it. I have two broody bantams that I am breaking. I have done a good job and they are back to mostly being neutral chickens haha, but I have locked them out of their nesting box area and am wondering - where are they supposed to lay their eggs now? Should I let them back in for an hour or so a day so they can lay and then kick them out again? The past few days I have let them in to lay for an hour and nothing happens. Thanks!

Once they are broken from being broody they are broken. They can rejoin the rest of the flock. If yours are not going back on the nest when they get a chance then they are broken.

Before a hen goes broody she stores up excess fat. This excess fat is mostly what they live on while broody so they can stay on the nest instead of having to search for food. Before a broody hen starts laying again she needs to replace that excess fat. The sooner you break them the sooner they can replace that excess fat. Also, when they go broody they change some of their internal plumbing and stop growing the yolks so it can take a while for them to start laying again. I've had some broody hens start laying again very shortly after they are no longer broody, I've had some go a long time.

Thanks to all! Yes I kept them from their nest and they rejoined flock and are back to normal now. I didn’t realize they stop laying during this period post-broody. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom