Breaking neck

Sorry to hear you have had to lose a good girl, but I'm kind of glad I saw this thread. It is good to know how to humanely dispatch a bird, even if I'm sad to see them go. I took care of a hen a few years ago who was hatched with a bum leg and her neck eventually had to be broken because it gave out on her. It's just so much kinder than letting the animal suffer.
hugs.gif

I agree with you
smile.png
Although I can't imagine being sad to see them go if they were in so much pain that death would be better.

Wow! I just did THE BROOMSTICK METHOD with my giant 10 month old rooster, and it went really well. I had put him overnight in a large dog kennel with straw and water. Took him out firmly but gently by the neck and legs. Held him in my arms, speaking softly and relaxing him. Gently placed him on the ground holding by the legs. He just layed there, and blinked. I said my prayer of complete respect and gratitude to the Creator. Placed the broom on his neck, placed my feet alongside and pulled up twice. He just was hanging there. After 3 minutes he shook for about 2 minutes, and it was over. No stress, no fight, no mess. I then made two small slices on his neck so that he could bleed out.

He's sitting in the fridge now along with all of the parts, aging until next weekend, when I again prepare some killer COQ AU VIN with my roomate.

I was really nervous to work with my first rooster, and one I raised with a broody hen and turning the eggs myself... with love. It turned out great! Really glad I did it to get experience. Its interesting how they just sort of are paralyzed when you hold them upside down. I like the fact that I did not have to feel them squirming on my lap, getting poo on me, holding it's head while it bleeds out.

I also have a cone, but haven't used it much.

Still in awe.
wee.gif

CHECK OUT THIS AMAZING VIDEO of an Italian woman living the natural life and using the BROOMSTICK METHOD. Enjoy!

0.jpg

Still amazed.
yippiechickie.gif

Continuing to learn so much about life from these amazing and humble God given animals ~ CHICKENS!!!!!
jumpy.gif

yesss.gif

Last edited:
This Broomstick Method was very helpful & IMHO is the most humane & quuckest I've seen. I've only had to cull 1 roo last year & it wasn't pretty as he was trying to actually kill ( for the second time...He was about to succeed) my white leghorn hen. He's gone & I still have her & she continues to provide eggs. However I have a blind roo & life has become tough for him as the others won't let him eat in spite of my best efforts to feed him alone. I'm going to take him out of his misery soon but have held off so I can do it swiftly without u necessary distress for both of us! THANK YOU for posting that video.

there is a way of euthanizing where they just go to sleep, if you can't snap it's neck you can get some helium and gas them in a sealed box or bag or whatever. The birds just fall asleep and helium gas is pretty cheap. We heard of this a while ago with self euthanasia and at home pet euthanasia. I won't go into depressing detail but it's a humane way to do it if you're not a neck snappy person.

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I had a beloved Black Orpington hen who has been suffering from egg pertosis and was only getting worse no matter what I've tried. She was at the point she could barely walk and I knew it was cruel to keep letting her suffer because I was scared to put her down. Having 14 chickens I'd have to learn eventually. I went with the broom method and watched the video above. Then went straight to the coop and brought her into the garage and did it right away before I could even think about it. It was quick and she was so weak her body barely moved after. It was all done in a minute. Being a beloved pet, I then buried her under her favorite tree. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do, but watching her suffer day after day was even worse. I'm so glad I read about the broom method. I just don't think I could have slit her throat and the broom method was instant and clean.

an Italian woman....... using the BROOMSTICK METHOD.

0.jpg
ONLY video I've found that shows cervical dislocation without taking the head off.
Notice the slight indentation the paver makes from the surrounding ground.
Wish I could understand the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom