Breaking the nurse-to-sleep association. No-Cry Sleep Solution.

I would give ibuprofen for vaccinations as soon as we got home from the pediatrician (when a fever was likely from the particular vaccination). Other than that, I based giving it upon discomfort and degree. Anything over 102 usually got ibuprofen, under that, it depended.

I do understand how upsetting it is to have an uncomfortable baby. With an older child, they can say what hurts and what helps. Until they have acquired language, it is much harder.

Yeah, those are good points. I worry about giving him medicine myself and try to limit it, but just need him to be able to sleep, for his sake as well as mine. If he seems to wake up in pain so many nights, then I have to do something? As far as my diet goes, it's so hard to nail down. I don't eat the same thing for dinner every night! The only thing constant in my diet is cereal in the morning, which I need for myself. I dunno!

It's only in the past few days that I've been realizing what's going on, since I've been keeping logs of his sleep. Last night was my big revelation, right when I posted this. Before I would partly sleep right through this stuff. Also, it may not have been going on this way for as long as I think? I have no idea, since without sleep, my life all just runs together and I don't know when anything started or stopped.

Ok, I'm going to throw something in here that I may get yelled at for by the die-hard breast feeders, but here it is anyway!
smile.png
*Sometimes* you get a baby that just does not do well on breast milk for any one of a bizillion possible reasons. My oldest was one of those. With the guidance of our doctors we tried everything under the sun, it just didn't work out. Once we switched him over to formula he did so much better. We found a formula that agreed with his tummy, he stayed full longer and just felt better. Life was so much easier and happier for all of us, it was just such a relief!

My second baby had no problem with breast milk. It's just something to discuss with his pediatrician.

sad.png
I am sorry. I know the feeling. 98% of the time I am the sole caregiver of our three kids and sleep sometimes seems to be a fantasy thing. At times the simplest questions just aren't that easy to answer. Maybe start with the simethicone. How long have you been giving him that before bedtime? What made you first decide to give him that?

I think I've been giving him the simethicone before bed for maybe a week or two? I don' think it's been longer than that.

And as far as breastfeeding goes, I've kind of felt for a long time that maybe my digestive issues have been giving him digestive issues. The problem seemed to go away for a while after the normal colic age but now it seems to be back and I have no idea what could be causing it. Not to be silly, but his daddy is a VERY gassy guy, so part of me thinks he inherited his father's gut.

I get what you are saying. That list of things that I cannot eat....that is because of my digestive issues as well as the nurslings. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about eight years ago. I was sick. Sicker than sick for over five years. I was told that I had no options left other than having my colon removed, taking immunosuppresants for life and crossing my fingers. I was also told that another pregnancy would certainly kill me as my second pregnancy was well on it's way to doing that to me and my son.

Through my own stubborness and the help of a private practice physician, I finally figured out most of the causes of my issues and my children's. I had an ELISA ACT blood allergy test done. Did you know that people can be allergic to pine needles? Who eats those? LOL I don't eat pine needles but I am allergic to them! After coming to terms with my HUGE list of allergies and implementing avoidance the best I could, my colitis symptoms are gone. It is a darn miracle that my bones are not powder now after all of the steroids I have taken in my life. And you know what else? I had another baby. Not only did the pregnancy not go badly, it went so well that I was able give birth a week overdue at home. Happy and healthy!

Any time there are any strange complaints the first thing I do is look to the food. Unless you are an obsessive label reader like I am, you are probably getting a few of the same things in your diet at nearly every meal. Corn. Corn is in nearly everything. Gluten and diary are the others that I would strongly look to. I really think you need to find someone who works with food allergies from a holistic POV. Everything you are saying is just screaming food allergy/intolerance to me. Food allergies and intolerances are extremely common and most people just think it is the way they are never knowing that it isn't normal. A gassy gut is a sign of a problem. My dh used to be like that all the time until we started seriously changing our diet. He has come a very long way and sticks to our guidelines when he is away for work too. It has made a drastic change in his gut as well.

Quote:
Gas issues can be healed.
Dh was like yours, until we eliminated gluten, and all junk processed foods.
We added in raw dairy,(milk, kefir, yogurt ie., probiotics) and raw fermented veges.
Issues calmed down quickly, and over time actually healed.

When the body is producing gas, it means its not properly digesting food. Its turning it into methane instead.

Yeah, I've assumed my husband is intolerant to something, but he is not the type to try to fix it. His gas doesn't bother him, but he would be bothered if he had to give up beer and pasta. The baby on the other hand...if I can nail down what's bothering him, I will.

Back
Top Bottom