Breast blisters and cut up wing tips

Pics
Here are her ‘after’ pictures of her face, basically I tried to get some of the shedding off but you can still see some

Attachments

• 215EF5B1-1893-42FE-AB3D-E66B80C1EE72.jpeg
    215EF5B1-1893-42FE-AB3D-E66B80C1EE72.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 99F0310B-F699-445E-A721-9D5729D8481E.jpeg
    99F0310B-F699-445E-A721-9D5729D8481E.jpeg
    722.3 KB · Views: 2
Personally, I would not give a lot of extra vitamins, if feeding a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

I wouldn't do anything about a fat pad at the keel bone on an older hen that is sitting around a lot. Not sure why you want to reduce it, I would leave it alone.

Skin can get a bit dry on chickens just like anything else. I don't really see anything that concerning about her face or skin, but if you are worried about it, a VERY light coating of vaseline can be applied to the facial tissue, combs/wattles. I am talking about put a very small dab of vaseline on the fingers, let it become melty, then apply lightly to the skin.

I can't say why she's panting more - may be the warmer weather, could be difficulty breathing, hens with reproductive disorder often have distressed breathing, could be pain/discomfort... If it's not that hot now and fans are not helping, then it sounds like she's going to have a harder as temperatures rise.

I just don't like the idea of a fat pad but if it is fine, then I'm fine with it.

I will let her face be, no need to do something if it is normal.

I am sure it is heat stress, when I put fans on her, she is not panting at all and seems fine. It was very hot today, more than it has been in weeks I feel like so I am sure it is heat related.
Dev was completely fine today, but that's probably because she dust bathed, Eddie hasn't been able to do that in a while due to her arthritis. I guess I can run an extension cord to their coop and have the fan on them, I had to do that a few times last year. Any other ideas?

The accumulation of fat could be diet, age, lack of mobility and exercise, genetic, etc. Birds with extra fat can have a harder time with the heat also. Pretty much any health issue can make it harder for them to deal with the heat. I will freeze milk jugs full of water (or any kind of jug with a handle, the handle makes it easier to hang) and hang them in front of a fan. That will cool the air directly in front of the fan a lot. On the worst days of summer when fans alone can't quite do it, I use that inside my coop to cool it off for when they go to roost. It does drip from condensation, so inside the coop I put a plant saucer underneath to keep the shavings dry. Birds that are mobile can use shallow dishes around the run with cool water in them to stand in, that helps them cool off some. Misters can help, I don't use them anymore as I have well water and the nozzles were constantly getting clogged. They also can cause a muddy mess depending on how close to the ground they are and your soil types.

Dev has been showing some concerning (in my opinion) poops. It’s the same thing from last time, she has these liquid urate but solid brown poop. Nothing has changed in diet or similar things.
In the second picture, you can see some yellow near the left top side and a little in the first one too.

Attachments

• B7459E02-6048-439B-8294-5D3AB4396A4C.jpeg
    B7459E02-6048-439B-8294-5D3AB4396A4C.jpeg
    620.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 662703A4-1DC9-4C5E-8248-B554F1FDA373.jpeg
    662703A4-1DC9-4C5E-8248-B554F1FDA373.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 2
  • F4811DA1-239B-40B8-ABD8-9EDF7BE8A493.jpeg
    F4811DA1-239B-40B8-ABD8-9EDF7BE8A493.jpeg
    920.7 KB · Views: 3
Also Eddie just ate a chocolate chip. Is this any concern?!?!
I was eating a chocolate chip granula bar and she turned around and pecked it. If anything is was a small chocolate chip or other chocolate piece. Is this going to do any harm?

Last edited:
Alright so a big issue.
Eddie’s breast blister, it was healing from the big liquid infection I saw in it last time, the scab came off and it looked a little weird. I ended up squeezing it and this hard clump of pus came out following a overflow of that same light colored liquid that came out of her last time.
There is no reason for that, i cleaned her wound with betadine last time and it is not that color.
Does this indicate infection? Again?
I cleaned it out with 3 mL of betadine this time and put neosporin on it.

What is going on with her?
I am going to give antibiotics, what type should I give?
And I am ready to take her to a vet if needed. She is not showing and physical signs of sickness but I do not like that she has had this happen two times and it kind of looks like an infection and it has me very worried. I will send pictures of the plug, pus ball and some of the liquid I got out.

@Wyorp Rock @HeatherKellyB @coach723 @Eggcessive ?

Attachments

• 29341C9F-2E7D-4B4E-A91C-815E80CDF597.jpeg
    29341C9F-2E7D-4B4E-A91C-815E80CDF597.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 28FF7A88-858B-4CC9-BE58-856297318F9A.jpeg
    28FF7A88-858B-4CC9-BE58-856297318F9A.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 2
Also if I do take her to the vet... what will they do? I’ve already flushed it out and I am going to give antibiotics... once I know what to give.

I do not think I willl be giving an antibiotic.
Once the first pus round came, I made sure after I flushed it out with betadine, that the wound would stay empty, I never packed it with neopsorin on got any liquid in it. Everyday after that I get a little dot of betadine and wipe it and lightly apply some neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom