Breast blisters and cut up wing tips

The only way I can get a good picture of the wound is from looking by her vent end, not crop end.

Okay, I think I picture where the wound is. More down along the keel bone?

So the fluid that drained out of the wound was fluid that had accumulated behind (inside) the wound. That would mean bacteria has colonized the tissue inside. This means you will need to get a large oral syringe or even a turkey baster, and flush the inside tissue of the wound to drive out the bacteria. I would use a strong antiseptic such as Betadine or chlorhexidine solution and flood the inside of the wound like you're hosing out a dirty container.

Then it wouldn't hurt to pack the inside of the wound with antibacterial ointment before you finish with ointment on the exterior.

Yes
Okay, I think I picture where the wound is. More down along the keel bone?

So the fluid that drained out of the wound was fluid that had accumulated behind (inside) the wound. That would mean bacteria has colonized the tissue inside. This means you will need to get a large oral syringe or even a turkey baster, and flush the inside tissue of the wound to drive out the bacteria. I would use a strong antiseptic such as Betadine or chlorhexidine solution and flood the inside of the wound like you're hosing out a dirty container.

Then it wouldn't hurt to pack the inside of the wound with antibacterial ointment before you finish with ointment on the exterior.

Yes, more along the keel bone.

I believe betadine and povidone iodine are the same thing right? Because I have the iodine.
If I do this and then pack the inside of the wound, wouldn't it just lead to this whole thing again?
This may be too specific but how many mL do you think I need? And I have regular 6 mL syringes, I think that will be able to do the job.

Or even a 1 mL syringe could possibly get into the wound and then I can squirt it when it is already a little into the wound??

You have the idea. Use any syringe that will fit, and flush generously, let it drain, then pack the inside and the outside of the wound. She has enough antibiotic still in her system that you shouldn't need more.

It bothers me because it seems to be the layer between all of her skin and some truly internal parts of her, would the iodine harm anything in her insides?

She definitely gets enough treats :lau

It is the wing tip, I don't really know where the elbow is.

For arthritis, I am not 100% sure it is arthritis, I will attach a picture of her hocks from today but the only other thing I could think of is synovitis but that is not it.

In the morning and evenings she gets 40 leg stretches on each leg to make sure they get movement. I give turmeric and shigru, both anti inflammatory, to help. I have been giving B complex because she has curled toes. From morningbird, she gets the arthritis drops but I don't know if those help. Three times day she sits in her wheelchair which has leg holes that let her legs dangle so she isn't sitting on them all day and then I go outside for an hour and hold her so she is in a standing position.
You sure are a very kind chicken mom to your Eddie !!

More challenging: inactive means easy weight gain & more painful to walk, Right?
Feed the nerves that feed the muscles (for animals and humans) !

The B Complex (you do now). Snacks: I learned no more than 1-2 TBSP per day. Sesame Seeds, unsalted of course, for Selenium. Banana for Magnesium & Potassium. But, as she is aged, her digestive system is slowed too. So small portions when eating.

You might try Poly-Vi-Sol, liquid minerals and vitamins (in the baby med section) These are a great source to help a weak hen. 3-5 drops (follow with drops of water to rinse the med taste) once a day for 5 days just to see if it makes a difference.

I have 2 types of arthitis. I'm in alot less pain when I use Trace Mineral Drops, eat small meals and snacks and eat foods that feed the nerves that feed the muscles. Good Luck.

https://opensanctuary.org/article/s...ecial-food-recommendations-for-older-chickens

Back
Top Bottom