Breastfeeding in public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think some privacy is good, but getting a glimpse of a mother feeding their kid is better that getting a glimpse of a pack of 14 year old girls trying to hang out of their shirts.

It doesn't bother me. I've breastfed all of my children and will the new baby. I, personally, am very modest and cover up, but it doesn't bother me if someone isn't as discreet. I'm just glad to see such good parenting going on. As far as hiding away and feeding babies in the bathroom goes, I won't do that. I mean, seriously...do you want to eat in the bathroom?

Our culture is one of the very few in the world that mothers are made to feel ashamed when nursing their babies. It has always struck me as strange.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I am currently nursing my 4th. I nurse in public and REFUSE to nurse in a restroom, sofa or no! When you start taking your meals there, then you can suggest that someone else do the same!

HOWEVER, I do believe in being discreet about it. With modern nursing tops (I don't use them, I just wear a t-shirt and skirt) and such, there is no reason for anyone to see flesh. MAYBE if someone were looking hard they may see a bit when baby is latching on (I generally use a blanket for this).

Older babies, at least mine, don't like the blanket, and will snatch it off (exposing mom), which is why I don't cover with one. My clothing is sufficient for covering.

I've asked dh, and he said that when I nurse nothing shows except sometimes when I have a newborn.

I've had men at church come up and have a conversation, even stroke baby's cheek, and had no idea babe was doing anything but taking a nap.

About the lady nursing in someones home-- that was just rude. NOT wrong in nursing, but rude in making assumptions about people's comfort levels. I would have asked where would be a good place to nurse the baby.

I do believe in modesty-- I'm more conservative than most of society. I absolutely disagree with banishing nursing babes from public view though.

We have two issues here, I think. Breastfeeding in public places and how its done. I am all for breastfeeding and did it myself for a brief time. If someone just plops out body parts and dares anyone to complain, they're just trying to make some political statement. I didnt say not to breastfeed when you need to feed your kid. I did mean how is that different than a man peeing in public? Body parts dont need to be exposed. Both are natural normal body functions, but I don't need to see your private parts for any reason. You also dont know what perv is watching you and doesn't think of it as a loving, motherly thing to do.

A side issue is how your husband feels about his wife exposing her body parts to everyone. It's a legitimate concern, I think. His feelings should count. If they dont, then perhaps the marriage needs to be reevaluated.

Last edited:
My two cents...
I worked in a childrens toy store....we had a reading section in the back that was private, where if you really HAD an emergency feeding to do, you could go there and not be pestered or looked at...
But NOOOO...I have had at least a dozen women sit infront of the widescreen TV, in the middle of the store, with kids everywhere and some trying to watch the movie, just whip it out and start feeding their baby! Not covered or anything...
To me, breastfeeding is a private thing, not for general consumption. And I TOO breastfed my son...we had a feed me now meltdown in Jordan Marsh and I went to the bathroom, sat on the throne and fed him.

Don't get me started on the people who change their kid's diapers on the benches in front of the TV...that's just nasty considering they LEAVE the used diapers right there...

I must also stress - asking or expecting a mother to nurse her baby in a restroom is very insulting. I have never done that and never will.
I went back to work when my son was little, and INSISTED on a private room to express milk, the company somehow thought it would be OK to do that in the bathroom :eek:
(I did get my private room - and they turned it into a library, with a few comfy chairs and a LOCK on the door)

I think it's ok to breastfeed in public (I wouldn't I just don't feel right about it) but in my opinion you should always cover up! It makes others uncomfortable if you don't...that's just not right! I would for SURE never do it (even covered) in from of someone else's hubby in THEIR home! HOW RUDE!

Quote:
gig.gif
I actually mastered the art of chasing one child, while holding and feeding the other.
I bet that most of those ladies plonked infront of the TV had other children to watch - and how cool that there was a tv to keep the kids on one spot. You wouldn't find me and my other child in a "reading room" either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom