Breathing issues, gurling (and more)

Spyrling

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2022
Hi all,

I picked up a new 12 week sussex pullet 2 days ago. Shame on me for not checking over her carefully but it was a long drive and I was tired. The issues were apparent once I got her home:
  1. Sneezing
  2. Gurgling
  3. Mites. So many mites.
  4. 5cm long Roundworm in poo
  5. Now also breathing heavily with raspy voice
I have kept her isolated in a crate with no bedding, washed her with pet shampoo twice, dusted her with diatomaceous earth, given her a Avitrol Plus worming tablet, given her 2 doses (so far) of Oxymav B, lots of mealworms (devours them) and tuna (less keen).

I contacted the seller, who refused to take her back but gave me a refund, admitted she knew about the mites but claims her flock is otherwise healthy :rolleyes:

The gurgling has since gone away, crop is emptying, but she still clearly has a respiratory issue. No more worms or mites that I can see. Eating and drinking a little bit, but doesn't seem very hungry.

Just wondering if there's anything more I can do for her? My last visit to the vet (different chicken, different issue) cost $170 so I'm less keen to go again.

I would insist on taking the pullet back or cull her. This breeder should not be selling chickens at all. She has a respiratory disease most likely. Mites and worms along with the possible disease could pass to your facilities and other birds. You don’t want to expose your others to a chronic respiratory disease. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, ILT, and infectious bronchitis (IB) are common diseases. Most diseases make them carriers for life. Here is a list of diseases including the ones above to read about:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Back
Top Bottom