Breathing problems

jazzguy73

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2016
I have a 4 year old Easter egger that is wheezing and sneezing for over a month. She is eating and drinking and acting normal. No muccus or rattling but is gasping for air. I have tried oxine steam for 5 days, Tylan 50 and fenbendezol for gapeworm. She seems to have asthma, any ideas?

Welcome to BYC. She could have a respiratory disease caused by a virus, bacteria or mycoplasma, or even a fungal infection. Any of those diseases can be complicated by air sacculitis, but she doesn't sound sick enough for that. Viruses have to run their course over several weeks. Infectious bronchitis, the most common disease, can last for weeks, and have the same symptoms. Mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, can cause similar symtoms plus foamy eye, nasal drainage, and sometimes a swollen eye, but milder strains can look like IB. Since she is eating and drinking well I probably wouldn't worry too much, but give her some time. IB can make all chickens exposed carrier for up to a year, while MG and other diseases make carriers for life. So I would wait a year before hatching or getting new chickens. Here is a good link to read about the common diseases with symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom