Breathing Rattle and Sneezing

Madhouse Pullet

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 18, 2014
California
I just got a laying hen on Saturday. The feed store told me they're all treated for illnesses (wish I had asked more specifically) so I could integrate one to my flock right away. Excited I drove home with Courtney but on the drive home, I hear this rattled breathing and then a sneeze. Went back to talk to them and 3 of the employees checked her out and didn't hear anything. They're like "she looks fine, she's making normal sounds, and we dont hear anything, or it's the smoke." So... I go home excited but less confident. I decided to treat them all with Tylosin just to be sure.
20200823_082448.jpg

Now, it's day 3 and I am doubting my decision especially after reading about quarantining new chickens, so I feel a bit silly that my impulse overcame logic 🤦‍♀️
She has NO other symptoms other than the breathing sound before she sneezes. Her poops look normal and she's eating/drinking fine.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Can you get a video of what she sounds like? Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Check inside her beak for canker or lesions and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

She looks clear eyed and from what I can see there's no nasal discharge/mucous.

You mention you're treating all with Tylosin - but you got 1 laying hen? You're treating your existing birds?

Can you get a video of what she sounds like? Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Check inside her beak for canker or lesions and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

She looks clear eyed and from what I can see there's no nasal discharge/mucous.

You mention you're treating all with Tylosin - but you got 1 laying hen? You're treating your existing birds?
I will record one today. Hopefully have it by tonight.
Yes, I am treating them all because I didn't quarantine.
Is it too late to quarantine? Am I giving the wrong medicine?

It's probably too late to quarantine.
Since you started treatment, I would finish it. Tylosin will treat symptoms of disease like Mycoplasma. Your existing flock was not symptomatic correct?
Correct.

I got Tylosin when my cockerel had sneezing symptoms around 4/5 weeks old, thought he was going to die but it saved him so I thought it would be the same treatment.

Correct.

I got Tylosin when my cockerel had sneezing symptoms around 4/5 weeks old, thought he was going to die but it saved him so I thought it would be the same treatment.
The antibiotics can help treat symptoms of bacteria like disease like Mycoplasma and Infectious Coryza. Infectious Bronchitis and ILT are viruses but often a secondary infection may occur.
Hopefully the medication helps relieve her symptoms and you have no more problems.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The antibiotics can help treat symptoms of bacteria like disease like Mycoplasma and Infectious Coryza. Infectious Bronchitis and ILT are viruses but often a secondary infection may occur.
Hopefully the medication helps relieve her symptoms and you have no more problems.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you for your help, it's very much appreciated. I hope it helps her out. Definitely learning a lot in the process.
I also have Duramycin-10.

Back
Top Bottom