breech baby-do you help?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I had a batch of eggs hatch yesterday and had 4 due today (put in 1 day after the first). When I candled them before going in the hatcher 1 was iffy, I did see a very small movement so I thought it was ok. I had 1 of the eggs due to hatch today actually hatch. The other 3 are just sitting. The chicks were demolishing my bator and the temp was fluctuating so bad that I had to pull them and put them in the brooder. I candled real quick and saw movement in 2, nothing in the 3rd(iffy one). I made a small hole in the air cell and touched the chick lightly, it moved! So I inspected it real quick and noticed I could see the yolk on the bottom. A few hours later I thought it had pipped but realized it was a leg joint
hu.gif
. Do I just hope this baby pips the shell to get air or do I help? I already lost one that was breach from my last hatch yesterday, it just suffocated. I don't know what to do, I really don't want to lose another one when I may have been able to help it
sad.png

Krista

I know that helping out is controversial, each person has their own feelings about it. I would help if it were me. I had one that was too big to get out of the egg and one that pipped at the wrong end and I had to help them both get out. Possibly remove a small piece of shell with tweezers so you can see what is happening in there. Just make sure that you are prepared to help it completely out if it shows signs of not being able to get out. Sometimes when you help out a little it turns into helping out alot, but it is worth it.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Kellim...do what you have to do...but make sure you leave it long enough to absorb the yolk. How long is that? Who knows...just make sure the chick has a hole near it's beak that it can breathe from. Then keep an eye on it's movements and peeping.

our only chick that survived was breach and pipped at the wrong end and we helped it out. It is doing great now and rules all the other babies we bought the next day to be its buddies.

I had one pip on the wrong end. I ended up helping it as it couldn't move enought to zip. The chick had a rough start but, is now doing well. If I had to do it all over again, I would!

I would suggest that you read the sticky on helping out so that you know what to look for and when to do what, if you haven't already familiarized yourself with the procedure.

very true farmer kitty - I printed it off when we decided to help it out then my hubby and I set to work under the heat lamp like micro-surgeons...

Unfortunately it didn't make it. It wasn't breech. Upon closer inspection it's head was under the yolk, there was no way to get to it's beak, not without disrupting the major veins. I was torn but not much I could do.
sad.png

Thanks for the help
Krista

Back
Top Bottom