breed, age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whychickens2, Oct 9, 2016.

1. whychickens2

whychickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    Hi! I bought these two from a guy in town they were thought to be 8-10wks old back in july. I was told they were black americana (sp?) But im starting to think they are a mix? How old do you think they are and do you think they are a mix?
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. whychickens2

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two more pics. They r starting to get the cheek poofs but i still am unsure :/

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    third bird in last photo is too blurry to make out

4. whychickens2

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    Yea the two black ones in the 3rd pic are from the same mommy. I was trying to get a pic where the whole bird could be seen but the sun wasnt helping. They just arnt filling out like i thought they would. They have bluish black legs so who knows.

5. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    I have heard that if they are spelled Americana, they are really Easter Eggers, which are pretty much birds with Araucana or Ameruacana in their background and usually have beards, muffs and pea combs( but not always) and tend to lay blue or green eggs. Your birds look good!

6. whychickens2

Sep 20, 2016
    florida

Thank you! Im new to all of this and I cannot wait until they lay eggs :) its been super fun raising these little ones!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They could be Ameraucana, it's hard to tell from the pic and until/unless they lay eggs.

They do look a bit young, and in the last pic the black bird in back looks like a cockerel.

do you have pics of when you first got them? That may help us age them better. And when in July?

1 person likes this.
  8. whychickens2

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    Both ended up being roos they started crowing today :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by