Breed and gender help

Also though... I would say you got lucky with him being dropped off in your yard! Breed him! Lol... if that's what he is, black copper marans lay a very dark chocolate colored egg. If you breed him with a blue egg layer (such as ameraucana or cream legbar) you will get really good olive eggers. And if you breed him with another either black or blue copper marans hen, your hatch will have both blue and black copper marans chicks :)

Here are pictures of him outside. Not sure if it will help. And this will sound stupid but what's the best way to breed him? I am still new at raising chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_20171010_155532473_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171010_155532473_HDR.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, I think that he probably is a young black copper marans rooster... I don't know for sure but that's my guess.

Lol it doesn't sound stupid but I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you have a rooster, and you've chosen what hen you want to breed him with and for what purposes, if you put them in a pen together, they will do the rest. :)

If he hops on top of her, and she lays en egg, that egg is probably fertile. You could put it in an incubator or see if she will go broody on it. Note that it might take a week for the eggs to be fertile from that rooster

The black bird is a Black Cochin Hen, not a rooster. She is very pretty! I have a Black Cochin roo, It is easy to see the difference. I wish I had a hen. I've heard they make great broody mamas. I'll just have to see if any of his daughters are good broodies.
IMG_6090.jpg

Back
Top Bottom