Breed and Gender of 7 week old chicks

CCchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Australia
We hatched these four seven weeks ago. We got the eggs from a breeder who claimed the ones that hatched as a New Hampshire (brown one that looks like a pullet so far- 3rd photo) and the other three as Isa Brown crosses. The "Isa Brown crosses" don't look like they have much Isa Brown in them so far, but we'd be interested to know what is in them, and whether there's any chance of them being purebreds. The white and black speckled one has five toes (2nd photo), and the brown one (below) that looks like a rooster has feathery feet.

There are no pure breeds here. I was thinking the person who gave you eggs had New Hampshire rooster and large mix of hen breeds so possible a pure bred New Hampshire pullet. Nope, the black beak gives it away as mixed breed.

They may only had one rooster but no New Hampshire eggs hatched. ISA Browns are not pure breeds to start with, they are hybrids bred for improved egg laying so a variety of colors can be offspring. Five toe's mother may have been a Dorking and the other cockerel's mother a Cochin, Brahma, Marans? For the feathered legs

Nice mixed breed flock you got. They should be good egg layers though I'd not use Five toes to breed forward as his mother was not a great layer, five toed breeds are not great layers- at least the ones I can think of.

Last edited:
I would agree that they look lke mixed breeds.

As for Gender
Rooster
Rooster
Pullet
Pullet

And with mixed breeds I wouldn't worry about the 5 toe thing being connected to egg laying. I have 2 five toed mixed breed bantams and they are excellent layers, I get on average 6 eggs a week from them both.

Agree with Chicken Pickin on Gender.

Parsing out what the breeder said (if its true) my guess is they have a NH roo (or cross) and then a mixture of hens including a red sexlink to give the ISA Brown part. The ISA Brown is a specific model of RSL but some folks may call any RSL (made up of Red roo over Silver hen) an ISA Brown.

Feathered feet and five toes with white shanks make me think Faverolles in the mix. I have a half Faverolles roo over a variety of hens and have gotten in the f2 generation both white, yellow and green shanks, feathers and no feathers on the feet, clean and muffed faces and five, four and in one case 5 on one and 4 on the other for toes. So maybe one of the hens (or the roo) is 1/2 Faverolles?

Back
Top Bottom