What Breed and what gender am I? Best guesses

Are you allowed to keep roosters where you are? Cockerels won't necessarily keep a pleasant Disposition after they mature, but I've taken a chance on a a couple and been in luck.
Just curious as to what you might do with 'em if it turns out a roo! Dinner, maybe? :p
I am allowed but I’m pushing my flock limits 😬. I have my RIR and a beautiful Araucana (breeder sourced) as well as a BC Maran that take care of the girls. The BC is still a little guy and he will grow up with this flock.
As for the other cockerels, I post them on Craigslist for free and give them to families who use them for sustenance. I’m personally not going to harvest a chicken I hatched and cuddled but I’m fine with other people doing it. I hatch cinnamon queens (Rhode Island white with a red rooster sire) and the hatch sex linked, so I have a few families that are happy to take the cockerels and use all parts. I’m a “circle of life” type person…And I hunt wild birds and process them for meat….

But if I hatched it, I don’t want to hatchet…. Ya know?

I am allowed but I’m pushing my flock limits 😬. I have my RIR and a beautiful Araucana (breeder sourced) as well as a BC Maran that take care of the girls. The BC is still a little guy and he will grow up with this flock.
As for the other cockerels, I post them on Craigslist for free and give them to families who use them for sustenance. I’m personally not going to harvest a chicken I hatched and cuddled but I’m fine with other people doing it. I hatch cinnamon queens (Rhode Island white with a red rooster sire) and the hatch sex linked, so I have a few families that are happy to take the cockerels and use all parts. I’m a “circle of life” type person…And I hunt wild birds and process them for meat….

But if I hatched it, I don’t want to hatchet…. Ya know?
That's a great thing to do with extra cockerels. I think we'd probably butcher our extras(we have two out of five roos that need getting rid of, but they're so beautiful), though it hurts a little more to do it ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom