Breed and gender?

What do you mean? I think at this point it's kind of ambiguous. If she was dark black with thin white barring and very black washed legs, I'd say that was female coloring. If he was more gray with wide white barring and very yellow legs, I'd say that was male coloring.

What I'm seeing is a dark blackish gray with thin white barring, very yellow legs, and a suspicious comb. I could see it going either way.
True true. The color quality isn’t that great. I’ve just never seen a true BR male that dark.

It seems the jury is undecided on this one. Here is a pic from today with the chick in question next to one of my Asian black chicks. They are about 7 weeks here
20210418_154429.jpg
20210418_154449.jpg

Can you explain what a black sex link is? Is that something to do with the parentage of the chick?
Yes. They are a cross between a red male, like Rhode Island red, and a barred female, like barred rock. Female chicks will be all black, sometimes with brown faces, and the males will be black with dots on the backs of their heads. Adult females are black with varying amounts of brown/red, and males are barred.

It's possible he is a barred rock cockerel, too, but his barring isn't as neat as a barred rock cockerel usually has, so I think maybe he's a black sex link cockerel instead.

Yes. They are a cross between a red male, like Rhode Island red, and a barred female, like barred rock. Female chicks will be all black, sometimes with brown faces, and the males will be black with dots on the backs of their heads. Adult females are black with varying amounts of brown/red, and males are barred.

It's possible he is a barred rock cockerel, too, but his barring isn't as neat as a barred rock cockerel usually has, so I think maybe he's a black sex link cockerel instead.

Neat! I learned something. :)

Back
Top Bottom