Breed and sex of chicks

May 26, 2019
Ohio
We bought 6 chicks from Rural King 2 weeks ago. They were in the $.25 bin since they were a little older. My best guess is they were 2-3 weeks old. A bunch of random chicks were in that bin so we don't really know what breed they are. Also the employee who helped us did a little test to see if they were male or female. She picked them up by the scruff, back of neck between the shoulders. If they pulled their legs up she pronounced them male and back they went. If the chick let its legs down straight, she said female. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'm wondering if there aren't a couple males in the bunch. They are getting bigger and I'm also wondering what breeds we got. Any assistance would be appreciated. I'll try to get some decent pics of the other 3 tomorrow. The first one is a lot smaller than the others and has feathered feet.

Attachments

• Posey 1.jpg
    Posey 1.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Rosie 1.jpg
    Rosie 1.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 29
  • Iris 1.jpg
    Iris 1.jpg
    722.9 KB · Views: 26
  • flock 1.jpg
    flock 1.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 31
The first one looks like a bantam buff Brahma, or perhaps a D' Uccle, the second one, I am leaning towards an EE, or a Rhode island red, and the last two look like Sapphire Gems or Blue Andalusians!
Thanks for the input. I was thinking there may be a sapphire gem among them too or maybe a lavender orpington. I was hoping the feathered footed one was a brahma. I didn't know they could be bantam. Do you think it will be a problem having one bantam in a flock? I have 4 hens, one of which is a brahma, as well as these 6 chicks. I'm hoping for a minimum of drama integrating the flock.

Looks like you got pullets to me! Their wattles are very tiny!😉 They also don’t have any of the rooster feathers like pointy hackles and saddles!😉 Maybe they are blue copper maran pullets? Do you have any recent pictures of the others you purchased!?😁
Oh that would be awesome if they're all pullets! I was starting to think that they would have more pronounced wattles/combs by now if they were roos. I'm going to try to get a pic of the little bantam tomorrow. She is absolutely the cutest thing! Turns out she is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle. She has lots of feathers on her tiny feet and a little beard. She's getting the patterns on her feathers too. Just stinkin' adorable!

It is now September 3 and nobody has said cock-a-doodle-doo! No fancy tail feathers either. Nobody has laid an egg yet, but I think they're all pullets. Whew! They're about 16 weeks now and the wattles and combs are just starting to get red. I'm hoping for eggs before the end of the month. Thanks for everyone's input. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom