Breed compatibility: New Hampshire/Barred Rock

steaknegger

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2016
momence, IL
I recently acquired a New Hampshire Red Rooster from a reputable source at a local swap meet. He is currently in isolation for at least a couple weeks as a precaution. My intent was to breed my own black, and eventually red sex links. I am planning on replenishing my aging layer flock while mostly cooking excess cockerals (for soups and such). Should I expect to be able to keep him with breeds like Barred or white Plymouth rocks, or should I plan on keeping him separate, except for breeding. My layer flock consists of Barred Rocks, Whiting True Blues, Red Sex-Links, Brown Leghorns, and a Minorca. Just wondering if I should build a new enclosure while he is in quarantine. Thanks in advance for your replies, I am finding this site to be a valuable resource.

Here is a photo of him.

Keeping different breeds together is most often not an issue.
Adding/integrating new birds to an existing flock, no matter the breed, can most definitely cause problems due to territoriality issues.

Adding a single mature and well mannered male to a flock of females is probably the easiest integration.

Do you already have another cockbird (I'm thinking a black one?) in residence?
That would probably necessitate separate quarters due to fighting as well your breeding goals.

Thanks for your reply. Good guess on the rooster, I have a year-and-a-half-old black Minorca that has been separated from the layer flock for about 2 weeks. He was becoming overly aggressive with the hens, packing and causing stressing my flock. He has already been given separate accommodation.

I have not had a problem in the past integrating Birds from separate flocks. My son shows several chickens at the County 4-H Fair, I find this a very opportune time to combine Birds since the pecking order is already disrupted by the removal of coop mates. I usually add them to the roost while they are sleeping. I have read, the birds of different sizes will not always get along. The New Hampshire seems to be a much larger bird, but then again, he is about to inherit a fairly large harem. I asked, because I generally try to think things through fairly well before I make changes concerning my chickens.

Adding/integrating new birds to an existing flock, no matter the breed, can most definitely cause problems due to territoriality issues.
I have not had a problem in the past integrating Birds from separate flocks. My son shows several chickens at the County 4-H Fair, I find this a very opportune time to combine Birds since the pecking order is already disrupted by the removal of coop mates. I usually add them to the roost while they are sleeping. I have read, the birds of different sizes will not always get along. The New Hampshire seems to be a much larger bird, but then again, he is about to inherit a fairly large harem. I asked, because I generally try to think things through fairly well before I make changes concerning my chickens.
That's good...thus my clarifier "can".
wink.png

It's not always a problem, depends on many variables...lots of space probably being a key aspect.

Since you already have experience and understand keeping a mix of breeds together, pecking orders, integration, etc.
You'll probably not have too much trouble figuring out how to house your project birds....not really sure just what your question is.

I guess if I wanted to do crosses with 2 different males, I would have 2 or 3 separate housing areas for options an flexibility.

I will only be using the New Hampshire for crosses. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with keeping these roosters in a mixed flock with smaller (but still standard) sized birds. I am not opposed to keeping him separate and breeding him when necessary, I just like to have a game plan, and hate having to build things at the last minute. I like to learn from other peoples experiences as much as possible. Perhaps the size difference is not enough to be a problem. I keep my Phoenix's separate because of the size difference and pecking. I try to keep their feathers nice to show.

Back
Top Bottom