Breed confusion...?

Pebble_Bunny

Chirping
May 10, 2023
I had bought Buddy (Male) nearly a year ago now (as an egg). I was told he is an Aylesbury duck and just took the owners word for it as I'm unexperienced in owning ducks and don't know breed's well at all. Though I all ways believed he was small for an Aylesbury I just ignored it till I got two new pekin ducks which are HUGE, I never knew ducks could be so big but then I noticed how small Buddy was compared to them, I soon found out Buddy wasn't meant to be that small if he is actually an Aylesbury... I do believe that maybe one of his parents where an Aylesbury (probably the mum which is why the owner just said Aylesbury) but I'm curious what other breed he may be as I don't think he has much Aylesbury in him... I don't know his exact weight but he is a similar size as my Indian runner duck, just his body isn't as long and maybe he's a bit chubbier. If you need better photo's or have any questions about him feel free to ask!
20221021_134956.jpg
20221021_134357.jpg
20230412_214703.jpg

I had bought Buddy (Male) nearly a year ago now (as an egg). I was told he is an Aylesbury duck and just took the owners word for it as I'm unexperienced in owning ducks and don't know breed's well at all. Though I all ways believed he was small for an Aylesbury I just ignored it till I got two new pekin ducks which are HUGE, I never knew ducks could be so big but then I noticed how small Buddy was compared to them, I soon found out Buddy wasn't meant to be that small if he is actually an Aylesbury... I do believe that maybe one of his parents where an Aylesbury (probably the mum which is why the owner just said Aylesbury) but I'm curious what other breed he may be as I don't think he has much Aylesbury in him... I don't know his exact weight but he is a similar size as my Indian runner duck, just his body isn't as long and maybe he's a bit chubbier. If you need better photo's or have any questions about him feel free to ask!
View attachment 3518713View attachment 3518714View attachment 3518715
Where are you located?
There are very few pure bred Aylesbury ducks left. Even here in the UK, we see a lot of ducks that people claim to be Aylesbury--- they're just pekins. Perhaps with a drop of Aylesbury blood in their genetics. My girls are supposedly part Aylesbury, and have some of the looks, but even they are clearly mixed due to their much smaller size. I have decided that they may be mixed with white campbells. It's one of the only combinations that makes sense.

Your boy *looks* like a pekin. But if there's a size difference he's likely mixed. You're correct though, Aylesbury are quite big so that wouldn't make much sense.
Can you get a photo of him with the others so we can see the size difference? I'd also be interested to know his weight difference to them.
He might be a pekin or mix, while the others are jumbo pekins, that could explain the size difference.

Where are you located?
There are very few pure bred Aylesbury ducks left. Even here in the UK, we see a lot of ducks that people claim to be Aylesbury--- they're just pekins. Perhaps with a drop of Aylesbury blood in their genetics. My girls are supposedly part Aylesbury, and have some of the looks, but even they are clearly mixed due to their much smaller size. I have decided that they may be mixed with white campbells. It's one of the only combinations that makes sense.

Your boy *looks* like a pekin. But if there's a size difference he's likely mixed. You're correct though, Aylesbury are quite big so that wouldn't make much sense.
Can you get a photo of him with the others so we can see the size difference? I'd also be interested to know his weight difference to them.
He might be a pekin or mix, while the others are jumbo pekins, that could explain the size difference.
I'm in the UK. Issue with the Pekins is that well... There very new to the family, and the ducks don't get on well yet! I could probably only get a photo of him with Duckington my Indian runner but I can get a photo of the Pekins alone but not all 3-4 of them sadly as I don't wanna stress out of my ducks. Also I don't believe Buddy is a Pekin, he has a very creamy/yellow-tint to him and is about half the size of my Pekins. I'll try weigh them all now, unsure if it will work but yk.

I'm in the UK. Issue with the Pekins is that well... There very new to the family, and the ducks don't get on well yet! I could probably only get a photo of him with Duckington my Indian runner but I can get a photo of the Pekins alone but not all 3-4 of them sadly as I don't wanna stress out of my ducks. Also I don't believe Buddy is a Pekin, he has a very creamy/yellow-tint to him and is about half the size of my Pekins. I'll try weigh them all now, unsure if it will work but yk.
The creamy yellow tint isn't too uncommon, it really shows up on white ducks- I read it could be due to something like diet, not sure. But it doesn't rule out the breed- though the size might
I see, that's completely fair, no need to stress them out. The weight sure would be interesting if you can though!

Where are you located?

Buddy is 2.3kg, Duckington (runner) is 1.8kg and one of the pekins is 4.1kg (All males)

The creamy yellow tint isn't too uncommon, it really shows up on white ducks- I read it could be due to something like diet, not sure. But it doesn't rule out the breed- though the size might
I see, that's completely fair, no need to stress them out. The weight sure would be interesting if you can though!
Really? I thought Buddy's coat was just naturally a yellow tint as he's had it since he first got his adult feathers, do you know what may be missing in his diet..?

Buddy is 2.3kg, Duckington (runner) is 1.8kg and one of the pekins is 4.1kg (All males)
That's a decent difference! I would probably guess that he is a mix then, I'm not sure what with
Really? I thought Buddy's coat was just naturally a yellow tint as he's had it since he first got his adult feathers, do you know what may be missing in his diet..?
Don't worry, if what I read was correct in its theory, it isn't due to lacking anything, it's simply certain foods causing the effect.

Back
Top Bottom