Breed differentiation or Wry neck?

She is cute. She looks like my hatchery females. The males turn black and dark brown pretty quickly on the bodies while the head feathers are white. They also develop their black beards and muffs early. I would use some super B complex tablets 1/4 -1/2 daily in their food or water which might help her legs.

She is cute. She looks like my hatchery females. The males turn black and dark brown pretty quickly on the bodies while the head feathers are white. They also develop their black beards and muffs early. I would use some super B complex tablets 1/4 -1/2 daily in their food or water which might help her legs.
Thank you so much for your input! I will try the B complex. Fingers crossed She is just another a hatchery beauty🤩

Thank you! Your hen suspicion is music to my ears and magic to my soul. I am hoping I was just blessed with a more unique and colorful hen😍 She truly is the sweetest of the bunch and I will be unable to keep any Roo’s in an effort to keep the peace with my neighbors. I do have a fantastic home in line for any surprises though! Thank you for your feedback! I hope your situation with Wry neck improves.
No problem and thanks :)

Thank you so much for your input! I will try the B complex. Fingers crossed She is just another a hatchery beauty🤩
Ok so I have been to all my local feed stores and they act like I am crazy when I ask for b complex tablets. Any suggestions where to find these or am I asking for them wrong??

You can find B-Complex tablets at WalMart, CVS, etc. in the vitamin section.
Thank you so much!! I was beginning to think I needed to look in a regular vitamin department. I just wanted to make sure the dosage was not for a poultry version of the vitamin. Thank you so much for your help!!

Here is an updated picture of sweet Ruthie. She is still smaller than the rest, but very active and eats and drinks standing up now. Any input on if we all still think she’s female? She just has so much color.

Attachments

• 5717D6DF-A5E6-49BB-ADEA-4FB718AA8FF9.jpeg
    5717D6DF-A5E6-49BB-ADEA-4FB718AA8FF9.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 90F298D3-8969-4108-91F4-1E240B014367.jpeg
    90F298D3-8969-4108-91F4-1E240B014367.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I just wanted to follow up on this post. As Ruthie has matured I have been able to determine the problem. She has Cross Beak. As of now (12 weeks) it seems pretty mild compared to some images I have seen, but it is something I will keep an eye on. She is still the small one of the bunch but eating and drinking and growing! She is feisty and goofy and still my favorite. Thanks so much to everyone who provided advice. I am attaching an image of her now. Let me know if anyone disagrees with my diagnosis. And again thank you all!!

Attachments

• B3A7BEF1-2BB8-4705-BF01-62458DA76303.jpeg
    B3A7BEF1-2BB8-4705-BF01-62458DA76303.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ED9ED2C6-618E-4CEE-85EB-66B3C0557B54.jpeg
    ED9ED2C6-618E-4CEE-85EB-66B3C0557B54.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 5
I just wanted to follow up on this post. As Ruthie has matured I have been able to determine the problem. She has Cross Beak. As of now (12 weeks) it seems pretty mild compared to some images I have seen, but it is something I will keep an eye on. She is still the small one of the bunch but eating and drinking and growing! She is feisty and goofy and still my favorite. Thanks so much to everyone who provided advice. I am attaching an image of her now. Let me know if anyone disagrees with my diagnosis. And again thank you all!!
Well, isn't she cute :)
Yes, I agree she has a beak deformity. It's good that she's eating/drinking and growing!

You're doing good - a lot of times all you can do is monitor them - you may want to weigh her so you can track her weight to see that she's gaining weight. And watch that she's not having trouble eating - I'm sure you have read up keeping cross beak chickens - providing a deeper dish if needed, wet feed, sometimes a beak needs to be trimmed, etc. - but right now if she's doing great - then I wouldn't change a thing.

Sometimes when there's a deformity, there could be other developmental issues that come to light as they mature. Many people have birds that may have a little something wrong and just adore them as pets - I love her expression LOL I would say, if you are planning on breeding/hatching eggs - I would not use her for breeding, just in case the deformity is genetic and is passed along - it very well could have been an incubation problem, but you never know. Anyway....enjoy her! I would:lol:

Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom