Breed for personality?

Some studies and some anecdotal evidence suggest with regard to human fear and the aggression that that may produce in chickens towards humans, game fowl and even recently domesticated jungle fowl show the least aggression towards humans.
This goes against the idea that breeding for human friendliness in chickens is having much success. It may even suggest that human attempts at breeding are producing the opposite effect and the modern domesticated chicken is more aggressive towards humans than it's ancestors.
I have Sumatra who are great companions, but for pure "Gumpiness" those Silkies win. So regarding recently domesticated jungle fowl I do keep them. For a 5,000 year old domesticated species I have those too. Now I am referring to hens only the roosters are a wholely other story.

DO NOT TRY THIS ADVICE WITH CASSOWARY OR OTHER LETHAL SPECIES OF FOWL.

I believe statements about aggression made here are accurate. I have very little experience but am on my third cockerel from the same rooster and I will be getting rid of him soon. Even a family member made the statement "that line of roosters must be aggressive that you have" when I talked of my concerns for the young cockerel. @Lilalienangel I would love to hear more about the companion birds. I have seen companion dogs in action and it really affected me watching them with elderly and sick. I think chickens would be great in a one on one environment given the elderly have help from someone to keep the environment clean. My only concern would be if chickens can be trained in cleaniness efforts. I know there are chicken diapers but someone has to change the diaper lol.

I believe statements about aggression made here are accurate. I have very little experience but am on my third cockerel from the same rooster and I will be getting rid of him soon. Even a family member made the statement "that line of roosters must be aggressive that you have" when I talked of my concerns for the young cockerel. @Lilalienangel I would love to hear more about the companion birds. I have seen companion dogs in action and it really affected me watching them with elderly and sick. I think chickens would be great in a one on one environment given the elderly have help from someone to keep the environment clean. My only concern would be if chickens can be trained in cleaniness efforts. I know there are chicken diapers but someone has to change the diaper lol.
I wish I had a non-Silkie Cockrel here. Cockerels are just cockerels and pass the test or do not. It isn't you it is them:hugs

Oh I wanted to add, my chickens are not very tame as far as being picked up and petted but my mother has 4 pullets from the same batch I have and she has spent a great deal of time with them and she now picks them up and holds them and all. So I think hens could be worked with also to be friendly and companion like. I understand roosters have more bearing on the genetics seems like but I believe all can be worked with given enough time to become more friendly.

Oh I wanted to add, my chickens are not very tame as far as being picked up and petted but my mother has 4 pullets from the same batch I have and she has spent a great deal of time with them and she now picks them up and holds them and all. So I think hens could be worked with also to be friendly and companion like. I understand roosters have more bearing on the genetics seems like but I believe all can be worked with given enough time to become more friendly.
definately. Thank you for adding this.

Glad to see this question asked. Interesting that several have noted that the sire’s traits seem more likely to be passed down.
I wonder if they’ve noticed that the sire’s protective instinct/ flock guardian gets passed down as well?
I believe that it does. I’ve found that my Buckeyes are very nonaggressive and also good flock guardians, keeping the flock in line, watching out for predators.
In my three generations of roosters, I haven’t noticed any difference in personality traits and often forget that the rooster I have around is actually the original’s grandson.

I’ve also noticed bantams tend to be more aggressive than standard bred LF. That is because the bantam breeders may overlook aggression when the person with a 9 pound rooster makes it a priority.

Also, bold, friendly females seem to have aggressive male siblings.

Glad to see this question asked. Interesting that several have noted that the sire’s traits seem more likely to be passed down.
I wonder if they’ve noticed that the sire’s protective instinct/ flock guardian gets passed down as well?
I haven't noticed this. One of my breeder male's sons was scared of his hens.

Some studies and some anecdotal evidence suggest with regard to human fear and the aggression that that may produce in chickens towards humans, game fowl and even recently domesticated jungle fowl show the least aggression towards humans.
This goes against the idea that breeding for human friendliness in chickens is having much success. It may even suggest that human attempts at breeding are producing the opposite effect and the modern domesticated chicken is more aggressive towards humans than it's ancestors.

This actually makes sense. An unhandled mustang is typically less aggressive and easier and safer to handle than an equally unhandled "pet" horse that has had food and water provided to him and seen humans his whole life. The reason is that animals are dangerous and aggressive as a default, but 2 things make them not be, fear and respect. The unhandled young horse that has been around people but not messed with has little to no fear of humans but he also has no respect so he'll quite literally walk all over you. The mustang is afraid, he would prefer to just stay out of reach and is VERY unlikely to run you over, step on your feet, steal things from your pockets, etc like the tame but unhandled one.

Most people treat chickens much like the tame but unhandled colt, they walk through the pen frequently, often have food, sometimes have treats but they don't actually command respect by ever asking the birds to do anything for THEM. The birds are not afraid due to the frequent contact, but, they also see the humans as walking treat dispensers.

Back
Top Bottom