Breed, Gender & Age Unknown

ksanford

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Largo, FL
This bird was found as a stray near my workplace one week ago, and no one has stepped forward to claim it. Any ideas on what breed it may be, and what sex? I have my speculations, but am interested to hear the input of those more experienced with poultry than myself. The bird has a rust colored body with small splashes of penciled black and white on the wings and tail. Single comb. Yellow feet with slight feathering. Poor thing has a deformed wing and 0% body fat, but is otherwise healthy. Any guesses on its age as well?

I already have a small flock, which I will likely introduce this one into once I determine that it is well and truly abandoned.

Thanks for your help!

Karen

This bird was found as a stray near my workplace one week ago, and no one has stepped forward to claim it. Any ideas on what breed it may be, and what sex? I have my speculations, but am interested to hear the input of those more experienced with poultry than myself. The bird has a rust colored body with small splashes of penciled black and white on the wings and tail. Single comb. Yellow feet with slight feathering. Poor thing has a deformed wing and 0% body fat, but is otherwise healthy. Any guesses on its age as well?

I already have a small flock, which I will likely introduce this one into once I determine that it is well and truly abandoned.

Thanks for your help!

Karen

Looks like a hatchery-quality (also known as production or commercial) Rhode Island Red. Its difficult to tell by the photo, but I think its a cockerel--those feathers are getting shiny, the comb is well-developed, the stance is upright, and I may see the beginnings of pointed saddle/hackle feathers. "It" appears to be around 4-5 months old.

He's a cockerel (for future reference in telling the gender of chickens, I say this because he has blotchy coloring, a large red comb for the age, and some greenish feathers in the tail). I'd say that he's a hatchery Rhode Island Red or a Production Red (a mix of various "red" breeds bred to lay eggs). As for the age, I'm going to make a guess that he is 3 and 1/2 - 4 months old or so.

Edit: Are there feathers on his legs? I think I might see some in the picture. If so, it would indicate that he's crossed with some feather legged breed.

Last edited:
He's a cockerel (for future reference in telling the gender of chickens, I say this because he has blotchy coloring, a large red comb for the age, and some greenish feathers in the tail). I'd say that he's a hatchery Rhode Island Red or a Production Red (a mix of various "red" breeds bred to lay eggs). As for the age, I'm going to make a guess that he is 3 and 1/2 - 4 months old or so.

Edit: Are there feathers on his legs? I think I might see some in the picture. If so, it would indicate that he's crossed with some feather legged breed.

Yes, I guess "he" has light feathering on his legs. It has become more prominent in the last couple days.

Mixed breed cockerel. That's probably why he was dumped--the cockerel part, not the mixed breed part lol.

That's a shame, but would explain a few things. He's very sweet, comes when spoken to, and will jump right into my hand. He doesn't mind being held or petted either; someone put some work into this bird, it seemed weird to find it all alone like that.

Or maybe all that "work" they put into him made a disrespectful rooster that attacked someone and got dumped instead of eaten.

Back
Top Bottom