Breed & gender help on some abandoned youngsters

LeavingBabylon

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hello all! Though I've been a fan of the forum for the past few weeks as my wife and I have been considering raising chickens, I've been prompted to write my first post as a chicken situation has almost literally landed on my doorstep. Four days ago, my wife and I were out trimming the hedges next to our street sign, and in the field across the street my wife noticed four chickens roaming around. She got my attention, and since two of our four closest neighbors raise chickens, we thought that possibly some of theirs had escaped. Three of the four we identified as roosters, and the last one we weren't sure about. After speaking to the lady next door, she said she saw some strangers walking up the end of our street with empty crates earlier. Apparently she didn't think much of it until we mentioned the chickens to her. Anyway, we gathered up the chickens in a dog crate and let them spend the night in it outside, and the next day I built them a temporary shelter in the back. Called the local animal shelter the next morning and sure enough they would be euthanized immediately. Although I don't necessarily want to keep all of them, I do want to find at least three of them a happy home. However, I still need to identify the last one's gender before I decide to do anything about him/her. He/she definitely has some semi-aggressive characteristics, but other than that I've seen none of the usual signs with which to tell the difference, and I reckon that it's at least partially my ignorance. And, for my own curiosity, I would like to know the breed as well as any breed-related behavioral information that anyone has to offer. Anyone's help is much appreciated!
To the pictures:

png4.png

This fella is the one that we're leaning toward keeping. Very mellow and easy to handle. Also the only one we've caught crowing. Definitely is the alpha of the bunch.

png3.png

This guy is definitely the least evasive and easiest to handle. Probably the least aggressive towards the others of the four. The black on his neck is exaggerated because we put some stuff to keep them from peckin'.

png2.png

Here's the most evasive of the three, he always corners behind the other three so I've only picked him up once. Definitely the biggest.

png1.png

Then there's this one. At first we thought it was a rooster just because it was abandoned but our next-door neighbor came over and saw them and said he thought it could be a hen but that he wasn't positive. He/she is definitely different from the bunch, but not different enough behaviorally or physically to positively identify as a hen. The gender on this one is my most urgent question.

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide!

Last edited:
The last one does look like a hen, but I am not super positive. You must be their guardian angel! The first boy is beautiful. DO any of them have spurs? They may be jittery since it is a new surrounding. Try meal worms or MINI marshmallows to get them to trust/like you... my girls love MINI marshmallows
smile.png

The first one is a roo and probably has some Ameraucana in him (blue egg genes) the last one is looking pullet to me too and looks like New Hampshire but the comb is wrong. The second one kinda looks like a pullet to me too she is pink not red. The third is kinda hard to tell but I think pullet too and she looks like she has some Ameraucana too. They are all really good looking. If you have ONE roo and three hens you hit the jackpot of chickens!! If those are girls they are either laying or will start very soon.
clap.gif

they all appear to have some EE genes. that third one with the black black-australorp eyes scares me
hide.gif
tongue.png

the last one is a pullet, IMO. saddle feathers are nice, wide, short and rounded
thumbsup.gif

The last two definitely look like hens to me...not sure about the white one...could go either way. From what I can see you possibly have 3 hens and a roo. A side shot of the white one would help a lot though.
smile.png
Seeing their legs might help with breed identification also. JMHO I'm not very good at guessing yet, but I'm trying to get better at it. I do agree with the others about them looking like EE-ish.

I hate to break it to you but those are all boys.
sad.png

They're very pretty though. They're all Easter Eggers to some degree.

For those curious about the last two being roosters vs hens - Look at the back. There's some small glossy feathers there, those are baby saddle feathers.

I'm thinking some not very nice person dumped their mixed breed cockerals. I'm not going to voice the rest of my opinion on folks who dump animals, it'd just get censored anyway
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom