What Breed/Gender are these?

Montana116

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2024
Hi All. First post. Forgive me if i do not incldue all the information. We have 6 Five-Week Old Chicks from TSC. We got them under the guise of Calico Princess Pullets (They were not labeled as straight run). In the first picture you can see the ones that actually are Calico Princess but we got two that seemed different from the very beginning. I know Calico Princess is sex linked but the two chicks with white feathers (in both photos) seemed to have a different body composition/structure while being light. The 3rd picture shows one of them as a chick with gray markings.

Four of our chicks are definitely Calico Princess Hens but not sure about these two others. We are not able to have roosters so we are hoping they might be Hens but not looking promising! Thanks in advance for any input!

Picture 1: 4 chicks, two calico princess, two ??
Picture 2: Just the ?? Chicks
Picture 3: Chicks under heat plate. The one with its face lowest in the photo is one of the ones in question.

Attachments

• Chickens All.jpg
    Chickens All.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 1000007479.jpg
    1000007479.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 25
  • babies.jpg
    babies.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 25
The dark red patches on the wings of the bird with head raised are usually a rooster only trait. The other one has more blonde tones, but otherwise looks the same coloring. Keep an eye on that one. I'm seeing comb growth on both, but I'm also seeing differing comb sizes on the brown birds. What I'm NOT seeing is wattle growth/red combs. That means keep watching.

The dark red patches on the wings of the bird with head raised are usually a rooster only trait. The other one has more blonde tones, but otherwise looks the same coloring. Keep an eye on that one. I'm seeing comb growth on both, but I'm also seeing differing comb sizes on the brown birds. What I'm NOT seeing is wattle growth/red combs. That means keep watching.
I also noticed the comb differences on the ones that are seemingly pullets a bit longer and skinnier where the white ones are shorter and wider. Im colorblind so ive never noticed the red i just thought it was brown/black so thanks for pointing that out. The two definitely seem like the same breed but yes the one definitely has a blonder/whiter tone rather than the darker streaks. They are only 5 weeks so we we ill keep an eye out the next couple weeks.

More pics of head and side profile can be helpful. The 2 in question have pea combs. It looks like the Princesses have straight combs. So the 2 are NOT the same breed. Pea is dominant over straight so not a sex linked characteristic. None of your birds are bearded so wattles will show. Pea combs do tend to have small wattles. 6-8 weeks of age usually is enough to tell.

Hi All. First post. Forgive me if i do not incldue all the information. We have 6 Five-Week Old Chicks from TSC. We got them under the guise of Calico Princess Pullets (They were not labeled as straight run). In the first picture you can see the ones that actually are Calico Princess but we got two that seemed different from the very beginning. I know Calico Princess is sex linked but the two chicks with white feathers (in both photos) seemed to have a different body composition/structure while being light. The 3rd picture shows one of them as a chick with gray markings.

Four of our chicks are definitely Calico Princess Hens but not sure about these two others. We are not able to have roosters so we are hoping they might be Hens but not looking promising! Thanks in advance for any input!

Picture 1: 4 chicks, two calico princess, two ??
Picture 2: Just the ?? Chicks
Picture 3: Chicks under heat plate. The one with its face lowest in the photo is one of the ones in question.
Easter Eggers, not calico princess.

Yes I see the calico princess. Never owned the breed but seen them at tsc many times.

The two others look like Prairie Bluebell Egger. You can see the simalities from this pic off of google.

Pictures of Prairie Bluebell Egger Roosters | BackYard Chickens ...

Yes I know it’s a cockerel... but use feather colors for reference 😁

Back
Top Bottom