Breed & Gender Id On My 16 Wk "pullet"??

I, too, would say pullet and would guess she may be getting ready to start laying eggs and that's why she keeps going in and out of the coop. Are you hearing a lot of unusual clucking/bawking/singing?

Quote:
Yes quite a number of wierd noises, thats why i wanted to check its more of a pitched "bar", i have witnessed my BA do it, but as you can see in the pic she is alot smaller than this one,

i am not convinced. there is no way those are the same age as the RIR roo of the 2nd post. if the other two are the same age, then what you have is a roo. but i have been wrong before, just ask my wife.
lol.png

Quote:
When we got them i cant quite remember what age he said they were, im pretty sure it was between 8-9 weeks thats makes them nearly 17 weeks, but the white 1 was alot smaller and the BA that turned out to be a roo alot bigger, also his combs and wattles were really big and red at 12 week when we found out, the other black chick we got 5 week ago when we took the BA back so that could also be alot younger, all the roos ive been looking at look nothing like mine, they are lean and are showing the feathers, where as this 1 i cant see any of the feathers and neither can the fine people that have helped me id it, its fairly chunky compared to the roos of the same age i keep looking at, it might be older than my age prediction. Guess we will know for sure when we either get an egg or a crow. As of yet no crowing or aggression, but alot of re-entering the coop on her own.

Those don't look like more than 14 week old birds. And if this is true, the barred is a male black sex-link - the barring is not right at all and there are reddish feathers on him.

Red&Yellow :

Those don't look like more than 14 week old birds. And if this is true, the barred is a male black sex-link - the barring is not right at all and there are reddish feathers on him.

hope not, im pretty sure when we got the barred and the cream 1, he said they were 8-9 weeks, which would make them nearly 17 week, although the barred was bigger than the cream 1, but smaller than the BA, that turned out a roo at 12 weeks and we swapped for the other black 1, im sure the cream and black 1 are many weeks younger than the Barred, are there any other signs i should look out for to point it to a roo, can you spot the certain feathers that point to a roo, ive zoomed in on the pics i have and they look round??​

Hatchery barred rocks often do not have yellow legs, so I would not really use that as a differentiation between breeds unless you KNOW that the bird was from a breeder who breeds to the standard. A male with two copies of the barring gene would he lighter in colour, however a male with one copy of barring will have the same amount of barring as a female. Pretty soon the bird will crow or lay, both will tell gender, and the egg colour will tell you marans or rock.

Back
Top Bottom