Breed & Gender Id On My 16 Wk "pullet"??

shell25

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Derbyshire
Im still trying to figure out what breed and sex this is, its between 16-17 weeks, ive had mixed comments some say roo and some say pullet and i really dont know, i posted some pics when it was around 8-9 week old and all came back and said pullet, the other day i wasn't sure when i opened the garden gate about 5m from the chickens this 1 kinda stood up flapped its feathers slighty and then went in the coop, first time its done it and never done it again ive tried making noises to get a reaction but nothing, could she have just been having a strecth. But saying that over the past week i have noticed her leaving the other 2 chickens and re-entering the coop on her own on several occasions, where as before they all liked to be together and followed each other around. No crowing, no aggression, no hen mounting (i had a pullet turn out to be a roo at 12 week when she mounted another chicken). First off i was told BR but cos of the legs it cant be, ive been doing some research and im thinking cuckoo maran??? I thought she was going to start giving us some eggs, but what do you guys think, this is my 1st lot of chickens and ive had them around 8 week now. The comb as started to get red over the past week or so, i might be blind but i dont see any saddle feathers, ive also been researching what they look like aswell. I have also got a black cuckoo maran, splash orpington (these were all from the same man, the black 1 we got 4 week after as our BA turned out a roo, i think the splash/black are maybe 2-3 weeks younger as they alot smaller as you can see in the 1st pic)

AGE 12-13 WEEK
67983_sdc11168.jpg
67983_sdc11157.jpg
67983_sdc11156.jpg
67983_sdc11155.jpg

16-17 WEEK
67983_sdc11235.jpg
67983_sdc11229.jpg
67983_sdc11227.jpg

I don't know for sure what breed it is, but if it is a rooster I'll eat my hat! Here is a pic of my RIR rooster at about that same age (16-17 weeks).
56972_20100820_1.jpg

Obviously a roo...

Quote:
Thats what i thought but when people say otherwise it gets you thinking, we had a BA at 12 week i kept saying to my other half its a roo, just by the look of him, and then a day later he mounted the splash, took him back where we got him n he confirmed he gave us a roo instead of pullet. I need to know for sure as we cant keep roos where we live. i wouldn't want to anyway as ive got 2 sml children.

Quote:
I was told BR when i first got them but apparantly they have yellow legs, so did some more searching and thats what makes me think cuckoo maran pullet, but then someone on here said roo and that got me doubting it, only had them 8 weeks so im pretty much clueless!! lol

Stick with Cuckoo Marans pullet. Yes, her legs should be yellow if she were a BR. She may be an early layer and that is why she might be going in when the others are out. Just watch her. She doesn't show any signs of being a cockerel. Good luck with your chocolate colored eggs
thumbsup.gif

I know yours is probably cuckoo marans but this is a pic of my BR roo I am sure yours is a girl
notice the long tail feathers and how big his comg and wattles are also at 16 weeks he was crowing this pic is about 16 weeks old
62756_peng.jpg

Back
Top Bottom