Breed help? Edit: gender as well!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickycammy, May 21, 2019.

1. Chickycammy

Chickycammy Songster

Feb 15, 2018
    North Carolina
    Edit: While I'm asking. Can anyone tell me the barred rocks gender? Adding pic at bottom

So my mom got me 3 chickens from a farm around her house. The owner told her their breeds but she could only remember barred rock. I can pick that one out easy because I have a few already. Though the other 2 have me stumped.

What could they be? The black one is Soot and red one is Amber.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Sure they're not mixed? Many backyard birds from a farm are.

The black could be a Marans, and the other could be a Partridge Rock.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. Chickycammy

Chickycammy Songster

Feb 15, 2018
    North Carolina
    They could be for sure. I just wanted to get a sense of what they could be. I know there's not much chance for me to know what they'll look like as adults but if I get a sense I feel I could place them better.

I tend to keep the smaller breeds in a different part of my yard then the bigger breeds.

4. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Soot looks to have some australorp in her/him (how old is this bird, I see red wattles coming in, and undefined non-rounded tail feathers). Australorp make for good egg layers. Amber appears to be all girl, and she looks JUST LIKE my little bantam hen... sadly, mine is a total mongrel mix so no telling what her predominant breeds are, but I'd guess there might be some easter egger in mine as they (easter eggers) are incredibly popular in my country. Easter eggers are good egg layers that frequently go broody, precisely what I'm looking for in my little girls.

5. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Black is a mixed breed cockerel. The other one is a Speckled Sussex pullet.

Tycine1 likes this.
  6. Chickycammy

Chickycammy Songster

Feb 15, 2018
    North Carolina
    I'm not 100% on age but I've had them for 2 weeks now.

They're all so pretty but I have no idea their genders as I've never been good at telling genders.

7. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Sweet! My little girl looks just like Amber, so I'm gonna guess she's got some of that in her too! Thanks!

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  8. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    If I had to guess age on your birds, I'd guess that Amber is 3 to 4 weeks old, still has quite a bit of her baby fluff, yet her wings and back have feathered in nicely. Her 'brother' strikes me as slightly older, perhaps 4 or 5 weeks, perhaps 6 weeks. His absence of all traces of down, fully feathered in, and wattles starting are the indicators I'm using. Overall look of Soot is that of a soon to be teen, whereas Amber still looks more juvenile. My two pennies worth.

9. Chickycammy

Chickycammy Songster

Feb 15, 2018
    North Carolina
    Thank you! I had been hoping for more pullets because I have 2 adult roosters and didn't really want anymore. But I fall so hard for the chicks that I'll most likely keep them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: