1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed help first time chicken owner

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Oftwife03, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Oftwife03

Oftwife03 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    When we bought our chickens they didn't know what breed they were. We bought them at Atwoods. We bought 6 that were marked banded pullet and 4 that they just didn't know. Then got 13 more from a local feed store that were marked sexed pullets. We have no idea what any of them are.

[​IMG]

I have 2 of these. They are about 5 months old. They are both laid their first eggs yesterday. Small brown ones.

[​IMG]

Our rooster and a few of the others.

[​IMG]

That is most of our 13 younger ones. They are about 2 to 3 months.

[​IMG]

The one in the front is "Pretty Girl". She is the only one we ended up getting like her. She was one of the banded ones. She's 5 months.

I can't get the other pics to upload here I will try in the comments.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I'm not really a lot of help with breed ID, but Pretty Girl looks a lot like my BR's at that age. Hope she is a BR - they are so lovable.

3. Oftwife03

Jun 26, 2016
    She is really sweet. She doesn't really like to be touched but she likes to be close to you.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The white ones look like Cornish Cross. The reds are Production Reds. The solid blacks look like Jersey Giants. The ones that are black with gold through the head/neck/chest are black sexlinks. The rooster looks like an Asia Black. And Pretty Girl is a Barred Rock.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'll agree to that

6. Oftwife03

Jun 26, 2016
    Thank you. I am still learning about all of them. I have wanted chickens a long time and finally had the chance to get them. I have really enjoyed them so far. So have our kids. They are really excited now that we got our first eggs. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by