Breed ID help!! Pekins? Easter Eggers? Leghorn?

Katejc

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Shuswap, British Columbia
First off, let me say I am new to chickens...a friend gave us these two after they hatched and mama took off. I have no idea what chickens she has so what they could even be a mix of. I call them easter eggers for that fact. Someone posted pics of their Pekin chicks and they look similar. The light one has pink feet that are getting some green on them near the top and also a bit around the eyes where it was always pink. I believe both are pullets but a bit too soon to tell. It doesnt really come accross in the photos but the dark one is a dark greyish blue. They both have beautiful colouring!

-some more clues, I dont think they are bantams they are much larger then our silkies that are the same age
-they are very docile. The while one in particular will still sleep in my hand
-They seem to have advanced feathering for their age (?) based on what I have seen from photos

Thanks!!

875F0C5B-656E-4DDE-BCA8-CFD66911ACDC.jpeg
A3794000-52EE-4F0C-BA22-D94C4B9174D9.jpeg
1B4C8C2F-2439-4575-8138-BDD1062E6945.jpeg
F1F246F3-A8F5-45E7-9948-8BC58813FE9A.jpeg
4A9CC615-A126-4AED-A73D-3F5B993FFAAF.jpeg

Simply mixed breeds...no way of knowing what without some idea of the list of birds on the property...and even then...they simply are a mix-match.

Not Pekin (bantam Cochin) as not fully foot feathered with big loopy floppy feathers. I'm seeing no Cochin influence as that foot feathering is fairly dominant and shows up in mixes.

LofMc

From the photos posted, I'm not seeing any game influence either. Typically game have wing tips that are longer than their body. These chicks have a heavier body with wing tips that align with body, typical of layer types.

But there could be a multitude of breeds involved...you have medium-ish body type that will likely be decent layers....of mixed breed. I love my mixed breeds. They typically are hardy, good layers, and pretty birds. The backbone of traditional farm life.

LofMc

From the photos posted, I'm not seeing any game influence either. Typically game have wing tips that are longer than their body. These chicks have a heavier body with wing tips that align with body, typical of layer types.

But there could be a multitude of breeds involved...you have medium-ish body type that will likely be decent layers....of mixed breed. I love my mixed breeds. They typically are hardy, good layers, and pretty birds. The backbone of traditional farm life.

LofMc
Thank you!! Next time I am with the lady we got them from I will ask what she has around. Pretty sure everything has crossbred with everything at this point though. Its a very free run kinda farm. Would much appreciate a gender guess!

It depends on age, which you didn't list, but I'm guessing 6 week-ish or so?

Dark one looks female. Watch the lighter one. Probably female, but the comb is larger and has some pink. If it is 5 to 6 weeks old, that could be a rooster.

LofMc

9E8B2D12-CCEE-45CB-8FF3-28C97C362975.jpeg
B3FE744A-EFF8-4E6B-A632-D6E07739D8E7.jpeg
It depends on age, which you didn't list, but I'm guessing 6 week-ish or so?

Dark one looks female. Watch the lighter one. Probably female, but the comb is larger and has some pink. If it is 5 to 6 weeks old, that could be a rooster.

LofMc
4 weeks old when the pics were taken. And 3 days later, this is what we have...definitely pinking up and a small wattle developing. The darker one is showing aggression, has started charging me and this lighter one is the snuggliest little thing!

Back
Top Bottom