Well that one is not in stock and I can’t find anywhere to order it online. Would the Purina work? It says from hatching through whole life
So I have used Purina and a lot do, it has 19% protein. I use a local duck feed with 20%. So here is the confusing thing, a lot of places recommend lowering protein. I did it once, but I no longer do because I find my flock is healthier overall. Now some will recommend to lower protein with oats, but I don't think that is a good idea. There is a chance they will eat mostly oats and it can lower other potentially important nutrients. There was someone who had this very issue recently. The ducks picked out the oats.

Others are going to swear it will cause angel wing if you keep to high of protein. This is not entirely true. Angel wing is more complicated than that. A lot of what I have read points to genetics mainly be the cause. While high protein can potentially increase the risk with those already genetically predisposed to it. Toxins and malnourishment appear to be a bigger problems and the evidence is not clear. So personally I would not worry about the protein levels.

As for layer feed, you don't have to put ducks on layer feed. You can give them oyster shells on the side when they start to lay. This is what most people do and it is more recommended.

So I have used Purina and a lot do, it has 19% protein. I use a local duck feed with 20%. So here is the confusing thing, a lot of places recommend lowering protein. I did it once, but I no longer do because I find my flock is healthier overall. Now some will recommend to lower protein with oats, but I don't think that is a good idea. There is a chance they will eat mostly oats and it can lower other potentially important nutrients. There was someone who had this very issue recently. The ducks picked out the oats.

Others are going to swear it will cause angel wing if you keep to high of protein. This is not entirely true. Angel wing is more complicated than that. A lot of what I have read points to genetics mainly be the cause. While high protein can potentially increase the risk with those already genetically predisposed to it. Toxins and malnourishment appear to be a bigger problems and the evidence is not clear. So personally I would not worry about the protein levels.

As for layer feed, you don't have to put ducks on layer feed. You can give them oyster shells on the side when they start to lay. This is what most people do and it is more recommended.
Thank you so much. This is super helpful!

Hey, what does she look like now?
She ended up being a silver Swedish I believe. I took her to a vet 3 hours away bc I found out it was a slipped tendon and he said he couldn’t fix it and then charged me $70. She ended up getting bumble on the foot she kept putting all the weight on so I treated that. I felt like she was miserable and ended up giving her to a friend that is more knowledgeable about ducks. 😢

Attachments

• 661BD1FD-94EE-45E2-BDE6-D2712470FBFA.jpeg
    661BD1FD-94EE-45E2-BDE6-D2712470FBFA.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 5
What's the white one with the black bill?! I've been searching for a all white duck with a black bill and feet, but I have no idea what breed it is😂 I've seen pictures, but still don't know the breed🤷‍♀️
I think she is a white or splash Swedish duck

Do you have one?

What's the white one with the black bill?! I've been searching for a all white duck with a black bill and feet, but I have no idea what breed it is😂 I've seen pictures, but still don't know the breed🤷‍♀️
She was a silver Swedish. Started to get grey coloring through her feathers and head started to grey whenever I gave her away.

Back
Top Bottom