1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed ideas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickee11, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Chickee11

Chickee11 New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I suspect this is a roo- What breed please?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Chickee11

Chickee11 New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    You can't tell from this pic but it's pretty small- in this pic maybe 12-16 weeks old and I guess maybe a bantam. It's sort of a rescue and is dwarfed by my Isa browns and black Australorp. It's shy but curious and gets bullied by the other chooks so I'm sleeping them separately. If it does end up being a roo I might try caponizing as I've grown quite fond of it. The tail has only just started to look like this in the last few days and i heard it vocalising at 6am- not quite a crow but it could be?

3. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Black Dutch maybe?

4. Chickee11

Chickee11 New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I've been thinking, not really sure about a Dutch. What if it's a Bantam Minorca- but a hen?? I'm a bit of a newbie so I can't really tell.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Black Dutch Bantam pullet?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The body type isn't right for a Dutch Bantam. However, I suppose it could be a hatchery-quality Black Dutch Bantam. The only other thing I can think of is that it is a Black Minorca Bantam.

Oh, and it does look like a cockerel.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  7. Chickee11

Chickee11 New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Dutch are not really in Australia - this one was found in someone's backyard so I was expecting some ordinary breed! Really a cock? When do the earlobes get big?

8. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Oooops! Should have looked at your location. I know nothing about what chickens there are in Australia that aren't here as well or vice versa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by