Breed info on laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PtldChick, Aug 24, 2011.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Is there somplace that lists the average laying age and number of eggs per week for the various breeds?

I have a lot of different chickens and I'd like to have an idea of when I should expect each one to start laying, approximately. Also, how many eggs/week to expect from each of them. I have quite a few that are 16-18 weeks now.

Thanks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Great chart....thanks for asking the question and thanks for posting the chart!! Helps us newbies [​IMG]

4. PtldChick

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Thanks, speckledhen; I'm familiar with the Henderson chart - it's great.

I'm looking for more specific information like initial laying age of xx to xx weeks and x number of eggs per year, etc. I've found some of the information by searching different sites (mostly egg size and number per year), and I'm having a hard time finding any resources that tell the normal age range for specific breeds to start laying...

I did find one site that I WISH were true - by a Farmer Dan - all the chicken breeds were listed as starting to lay at four or five weeks! I think he meant months...[​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Someone seriously needs to make a new one though. There's several breeds there which the info on, the laying capabilities especially, are extremely off.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Illia, I agree that it needs updating. I just wasn't aware of any other one.

7. PtldChick

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    It's the best one out there...but I have seen conflicting information on other sites.

Illia - which laying capabilities are way off IYO?

ETA - sh - is there a place on BYC to post a new chart if someone makes one?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by