Breed info on Norwegian Jærhøns (Jaerhons / Jaerhon)

Quote:
Yes we had one with a mohawk at 2 weeks.

Ours are about 6 weeks, Flame Jaerhons from Sand Hill, but there is no consistency in color at all. There is one pretty grey barred pullet, but the others are quite diverse.

Quote:
Yes we had one with a mohawk at 2 weeks.

Ours are about 6 weeks, Flame Jaerhons from Sand Hill, but there is no consistency in color at all. There is one pretty grey barred pullet, but the others are quite diverse.

Mine from Ideal have been very uniform in coloring, but then they aren't "Flame"--which I understand is a "sport" color that is not really "pinned down" yet.
I can't tell mine of the same age apart at all. Altho one 2nd gen pullet is rooster-colored, white with grey/tan rather than just grey/tan. I'll post a picture of her tomorrow and her identical-in-size and color cockerel buddy.

19483_p2240046.jpg

19483_p2240034.jpg

This is my odd-colored pullet (5 mos old), Zizele, and her pal, Bodo, from the same hatch/parents.

Has anyone with experience with this breed noticed that the birds are auto-sexing? The description of the breed indicates that the gender of the day-old chicks can be determined with a simple visual inspection because the female chicks have a different color pattern than the males. Has anyone found this to be true? Is this the only auto-sexing (as distinguished from sex-linked) chicken breed in America?

Quote:
Could one not consider Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans to be auto-sexing?

You mean when you breed barred rocks and cuckoo marans with each other? An auto-sexing breed is a single genetically stable breed that produces chicks that can easily be visually sexed based on their feather color patterns. A cross between two different breeds (for example, barred rocks and cuckoo marans) may produce chicks that are sexable, but the chicks are sex-linked, not auto-sexing. If you breed the sex-linked chicks with each other, they do not usually produce chicks that look identical to the parents. Auto-sexing chicks do produce chicks that look identical to the parents.

Quote:
I can't answer your questions about other breeds but NJs are easy to sex at birth. The males have a large white spot on their heads, while the females have no spot or only a small one. Generally, the pullets develop more brown/gold coloring than the males with time, but my Zizele in the picture above does not have the brown/gold coloring at all. She was, however, clearly a pullet at birth.

Back
Top Bottom