Breed mix?

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Heya, I hatched out a bunch of 'barnyard mix' eggs last month, chicks are four weeks old today and feathering out nicely. Roos are either Silver Dorking or RIR. Hens are RIR, Lav Orp, Red sex-link, Black sex-link, Olive Eggers, and Chanteclair (also some banties, but these were full-sized eggs the ones in question hatched from). I'm curious as to two chicks, the black and white, and the red. They were nice enough to pose together for me, lol:

1680538176245.jpeg

I'm thinking the red might be pure RIR (and a cockerel). It hatched out a golden yellow colour. The black and white hatched out black and white (as opposed to black and yellow). Comb is black. Thinking this one is a pullet.

I realize that a lot of the hens are mixed-breeds too, so that makes things more difficult. Definitely keeping the black and white (named her Rocky because she looked like a rock-hopper penguin at hatch!).

Roos are either Silver Dorking or RIR. Hens are RIR, Lav Orp, Red sex-link, Black sex-link, Olive Eggers, and Chanteclair
I'm ignoring the Olive Eggers when making guesses, because I don't know what color they are. Some colors of Olive Egger could be the mother of one or the other chick.

I'm thinking the red might be pure RIR (and a cockerel). It hatched out a golden yellow colour.
The red chick definitely had the Rhode Island Red father, not the Silver Dorking.
The mother could be a Rhode Island Red, or a Red Sex-link, or maybe a Black Sex-link. (Black Sexlinks often have a Rhode Island Red father, so they can pass that set of genes on to some of their chicks.)

I agree about probably cockerel.

The black and white hatched out black and white (as opposed to black and yellow). Comb is black. Thinking this one is a pullet.
The mother of the black chick is probably a Lavender Orpington or a Black Sex-link.
Either rooster could have fathered a chick that looks like that, with either of those hens.

The Dorking may pass on its 5th toe to its offspring, so that is a good way to confirm him as the father. He will also pass down the silver gene to his offspring, which you should be able to tell in all but white chicks. In black birds there will be silver leakage if the Dorking is the dad, and red leakage if the RIR is the dad.

I think you are right that the one chick has RIRs for both parents. The white chicks come from a white bird, probably.

These two have four toes, but I did hatch some with five, so I know they came from the Dorking. Two of the banties were also chipmunk coloured, so figured they came from him too. Banty hens are Silky x, Cochin/Pekin, Dutch, and OEGB.

I've got more eggs incubating from this seller, due to hatch next week. I can't wait to see what I get in this batch! I'll also see if I can get some pics of her hens.

I count at least three males. The red, white, and the black one in the far corner.
Yeah, some are obvious with well developed combs already. Here's a slightly better group picture of them all:

1680539893364.jpeg

The smallest of the whites (they all have black spots) seems to be a frizzle.

Oh, and check out this beauty:

1680540015768.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom