BREED OF RED PULLETS-More Pics Added!!

I visited my local TSC for feed today and I saw the chicks for sale. They had a bin of red chicks identified as, "Red Pullets" and noted the placard stated they were high egg production. Didn't state a breed which I thought was interesting. I couldn't stay for long as the hubby would have bought every chick in the place.

Cute chicks!

I visited my local TSC for feed today and I saw the chicks for sale. They had a bin of red chicks identified as, "Red Pullets" and noted the placard stated they were high egg production. Didn't state a breed which I thought was interesting. I couldn't stay for long as the hubby would have bought every chick in the place.

Cute chicks!

Ya the bin said red pullets at it had a list of breeds under the description lol. I picked the two darkest ones hoping for a RIR breed(most likely Production red). they didnt let me hold them or look at them closley like i like to do.

I got 3 red pullets myself <I'm hoping for them to be one of the RIR, Production reds or there was another that I liked the look of but I forget the name now it's related to the RIR> and 3 black pullets ( i can't EVEN remember what the possibilities were for them!) but they were cute <G> ( I got 3 ducklings too <pretty sure from the look of them they are white pekings> I'm hoping for eggs and to use them for herding practice for the cattle dog when full grown)

Bought these at tractor supply

List of possible breeds in the bin was

Dark RIR
RIR
New Hampshire
Production red
Red Star

It is interesting that they put all the chicks that are red in the same group. How are you supposed to tell them apart?
smile.png

By the way, I didn't know there were two breeds of Rhode Island Reds.
smile.png

I got 3 red pullets myself <I'm hoping for them to be one of the RIR, Production reds or there was another that I liked the look of but I forget the name now it's related to the RIR> and 3 black pullets ( i can't EVEN remember what the possibilities were for them!) but they were cute <G> ( I got 3 ducklings too <pretty sure from the look of them they are white pekings> I'm hoping for eggs and to use them for herding practice for the cattle dog when full grown)

Related to Rhode Island Red? Maybe New Hampshire. The red ones are commonly called New Hampshire Reds, and these were developed by selectively breeding Rhode Island Reds.

Black pullets. Maybe Black Sex-Link (Black Star), Black Australorp, or something else.

Hopefully your dog will only herd them and not try to eat them.

Any of those breeds or sex-link crosses are very good egg-layers, so you can't go wrong.

I just bought 6 of them last night from Tractor Supply myself, and it had the same sign....Red Pullets. They also had another bin with "Assorted" Pullets, I stayed away from that bin because I had no idea what was in that mix. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the reds since they're all good egg producers.

As a matter of fact, my profile pic is one of the babies I got last night. :)

Guess we'll see what we got when they grow some.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I just bought 6 of them last night from Tractor Supply myself, and it had the same sign....Red Pullets. They also had another bin with "Assorted" Pullets, I stayed away from that bin because I had no idea what was in that mix. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the reds since they're all good egg producers.

As a matter of fact, my profile pic is one of the babies I got last night. :)

Guess we'll see what we got when they grow some.
tongue.png

i got 2 from the red pullet bin. one from the straight run White rock bin, and 3 from the assortment pullet bin. lol. Did u go to the one in Turlock? Or what Town? lol

Back
Top Bottom