Breed recommendation needed for first timer

rookiechickie

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Deciding breeds for my first backyard coop - I'm looking for good layers (main purpose), hardy, friendly, and QUIET (so that I won't bother my neighbors). I did my research and came up with the following three:

Buff Orpington
Black Australorps
Wyandotte (silver-laced?)

Are they really quiet (compared to other breeds)? If I am getting 6, would you recommend to get all in one breed? Or would mixing them be ok (3-3 or 2-2-2)?

I thing all those are good. I always liked assortment, so I would get 2 of each. I only keep mine as pets, but do eat the eggs:drool
Orpingtons are late to start laying. I never had a SLW, but do admire their beauty.
The Australorp will most-likely be your best egg producer.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Welcome!
I am one who likes a mixed flock, generally keeping one each of several breeds, as I rotate at least half my stock each year those breeds often change. One thought in looking at your list, all lay about the same shade of brown.....if variety is your goal, perhaps variety of breed and egg color would suit you?

Thank you both for the input!

Welcome!
I am one who likes a mixed flock, generally keeping one each of several breeds, as I rotate at least half my stock each year those breeds often change. One thought in looking at your list, all lay about the same shade of brown.....if variety is your goal, perhaps variety of breed and egg color would suit you?

Didn't really think about the egg color variety. I did check Easter Eggers but heard that they can be very noisy so I didn't choose them. And didn't really find breeds laying non-brown eggs matching my criteria. Do you have any recommendation?

Any issues with having one each of several breeds? 2-2-2 sounds good to me, but I heard that there's still a possibility that I might get a male even if I asked for all females. So it is possible for me to have only one hen in one breed while having multiple hens from other breeds.

Thank you both for the input!

Didn't really think about the egg color variety. I did check Easter Eggers but heard that they can be very noisy so I didn't choose them. And didn't really find breeds laying non-brown eggs matching my criteria. Do you have any recommendation?

Any issues with having one each of several breeds? 2-2-2 sounds good to me, but I heard that there's still a possibility that I might get a male even if I asked for all females. So it is possible for me to have only one hen in one breed while having multiple hens from other breeds.
Unless you opt for sex linked hybrids or autosexing breeds, there is a chance of getting a surprise male due to the intricacies of vent sexing.
Crested cream legbars are a lovely autosexing breed laying blue eggs....calm, personable birds that, at least in my flick, have not been especially loud.
Several hatcheries are producing sex linked olive Eggers and sex linked marans crosses that lay dark brown eggs

No issues with having 1 or 2 of several breeds. Many people have mixed flocks. They generally get along, especially if raised together. And I agree that variety is nice.

We have Orps and Wyandottes in the brooder now but can't speak personally to them as adults. What I've heard/read matches your research so probably good options. We do have Australorps and they'd definitely fit your criteria. Our other adults are leghorns and aren't "friendly", more flighty/shy. But great layers.

Almost always some risk of getting a male unless going with the hybrids. Some hatcheries offer sexing guarantees but they vary.

I'm still pretty new to this so no expert. Wasn't long ago I was doing similar research. Sounds like you've narrowed it to strong options though. Best of luck!

I have Buff Orpingtons, Goldlace Wyandotte Delaware Whiting True Blue right now. I truly recommend the Orpingtons because, they are easy to handle, quiet, lay an egg every other day and lay through the winter. The Australorps are Black Australian Orpingtons. Wyandotte much more active than Orpingtons but not noisy lays a smaller egg than the Orpingtons. When I first started I bought one of each but now I buy them two of each so they have a buddy. Chickens are segregationist, size age color sex all matters to them.

I have a Lavender Orpingtons and a couple Australorps (my Australorps are still chicks) and the whole family adores them. Our Orp is a treat, she's a huge sweet heart, but despite the breed's quite reputation, she is L O U D! Our Australorp chicks are the sweetest ones we have raised, but that's all that we know now. I know that Australorps are some of the best egg layers. I have no experience with Wyandottes, but I've heard they're awesome as well!

Deciding breeds for my first backyard coop - I'm looking for good layers (main purpose), hardy, friendly, and QUIET (so that I won't bother my neighbors). I did my research and came up with the following three:

Buff Orpington
Black Australorps
Wyandotte (silver-laced?)

Are they really quiet (compared to other breeds)? If I am getting 6, would you recommend to get all in one breed? Or would mixing them be ok (3-3 or 2-2-2)?
Wow, six is a lot to start out with. I think usually if they have enough room and things to keep them occupied, they are less likely to make a noise. My loudest chicken is my Buff Orpington and my one of my Silver Grey Dorkings, so I think it depends on the individual chicken. I have nine chickens, all different breeds. My quietest Chickens are my lavender Orpington, my black copper Marans, my GLWyandotte and my two Easter Eggers. The only time they really ever make a lot of noise is when they are laying their eggs.

Welcome!
Your choices are fine, and there are so many others too!
Having your approximate location on your profile helps, as hot weather vs. cold weather does make a difference.
Consider one of each breed as a start, and as far as who's going to be less noisy, that's up to each individual bird, it won't be breed related.
Speckled Sussex are beautiful and friendly, always a good choice.
For that colorful egg basket; Easter Eggers, French Marans, Welsummers, and the hybrid Whiting true blue or Whiting true greens.
Have you looked at Henderson's breed chart or feathersite?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom