Breed recommendations and living quarters.........

I personaly like the Swedish.
big_smile.png
I have one black swedish and one swedish mix I think. They are great swimers to watch in our pond, love to be talked to, will come and eat anything out of your hand, and they aren't very loud at all so far. They are the only breed of ducks I have owned but I love there rich colors. (sorry can't make the pics come out smaller
barnie.gif
if they are to big refresh the page)

Ebony (male)~ black swedish
100_2030.jpg

Cocoa (female) ~ swedish mix
100_2035.jpg

Both
100_2005.jpg

I let them free range then they have a dog kennel they go into at night. It is a large metal 3ft x 4ft dog kennel. We put plywood around three sides and the top then cut three "windows" cut out for ventalation, then the door to the kennel we leave open for them to go in and out. So basicaly all we have is a night time hut for them and the rest of the yard.

Last edited:
People, the question was about entertaining ducks... sheesh. <clears throat> For an entertaining duck you cannot go wrong with an INDIAN RUNNER DUCK. They are by far the most entertaining duck.

Here's some obligatory pictures:

On the unfinished pond:

pond-5-1.jpg

My new drake... now isn't he funny looking!

drake-2-1-1.jpg

Here's a runner picture courtesy of Holderread originally found here: http://holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/runner_ducks_page/runner_ducks.htm

fawnandwhite.jpg

Don't let these people steer you wrong. Remember, when you're ordering your ducks, you want INDIAN RUNNER DUCKS!
winking-smiley-40.gif

Seriously though, find something you like to look at. All ducks are amusing and entertaining.
If you go to this page: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html and scroll down a bit you'll see links to tons of duck breed pictures.

Annarie, can you take some pictures of the inside of your duck house so I can see how it's constructed. It looks simple enough but I'm not really handy. I'm thinking of building something similar but smaller for breeding housing.

I love all ducks, always have, I'd be happy with pretty much any kind, but, now that I know just how many kinds and colors there are.
The decision is harder.
I just know I like the creamy/brown ones (harlequins??) found them so pretty.
The magpies as my daughter thinks we should call the hobby farm, the Checkers Farm, and have just black and white critters.
The calls are so dainty and so pretty, almost ornamental.

I am so happy to hear how easy their homes need to be, we have put so much effort into the hen house.

I have thought of the Indian Runners too, I guess we shall see what we can find available when we are ready for them.
I'd love to have them in the house, hee hee. They are just too cute.

oh I also like the Cayuga duck

after browsing the link above, the Australian spotted are sure pretty too.

The only reason I don't like runners is that the two I had were very skittish and made my whole flock nervous. Since I got rid of the remaining runner, my flock is once again a calm group. I love that idea with the magpies. That's great! I'm getting Welsh Harlequin eggs soon and some pekin and pekin x eggs tomorrow. I know that the pekins are more common, but they make great starter ducks and are quite comical. My DF loves our pekin hen the best out of the six ducks we have. I like the cayugas because they're so pretty, but our pekin is definately the calmest and most entertaining of the bunch. Good luck with your search. I can't imagine not having ducks now that I have them lol.

Regarding living quarters, it seems that some duck people lock their duckies in at night without food and water, and others keep it available 24/7.

Our ducklings are now 6 weeks old. If we lock them up in the duck house at night w/o the food and water, how old should they be before they can comfortably make it through the night? Or is there agreement as to whether this is O.K. to do or not? It would sure make the clean up of the night house easier!

The last few times this came up, I think there was general agreement that it was okay to do that. I've recently started doing it and OMG their living quarters are SO much cleaner. I'm not sure on the age, but I think 6 weeks is old enough.

The one thing I noticed though is that morning feeding has a pecking order. To make sure everyone gets their fair share I've made a feeding line where every duck can get into the feed.

Back
Top Bottom