Breed register?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by moomee56, Mar 8, 2011.

1. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    Can chickens be breed registered like dogs or horses? Just a for fun question [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    no

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No but you can make your own "registry" or genealogy of your birds in some poultry software.

4. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    Darn! that would be a good idea though! [​IMG]

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I give all of mine names and track to a certain extent their lineage.

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I track my breeding pens so I know who came from where and who I will be breeding them to. It lets me keep track of and make adjustments to the quality of each pen.

Lanae

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I put leg tags with numbers on them and enter them in my book who were the parents and what bloodlines they came from and DOH (date of hatch). And I usually include pictures.

8. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    This is the idea with teh Standard of Perfection. Insofar as cpoultry reproduce at such a quick and copious rate and often have a short and/or unpredictible life-span, registries were not seen as possible. The Standard becomes their registry. In theory, a specimen is held up to the Standard and it is. or is not, in accord with whether or not it meets that standard. One of the obvious weaknesses with this system is that birds with a borken lineage can be phenotypically a breed that they genotypically are not. On the other hand, it's hard enough to make this happen, as well as time consuming enough, as to reduce the magnitude of the concern.

Thus, though, when one says Standard-bred Dorking it is the same as saying Registered Holstein, which is why it is taken so seriously.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  9. jmtrestle

jmtrestle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    www.nationalpoultryregistry.com

The registry offers certificates that promote linage/pedigree tracking. It offers a Breed Improvement Certification, Ancestry Certification and Development Certification

The certification systems work to track heritage, but as a group basis instead of individually.
    @$8.00 a year to join, it is also a affordable advertisement if you want a breeder listing!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to help!
    Jenny

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Has any one tried the National Poultry Registry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by