Breed? Roo?

EssexChickens

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
This 10 week old is our favorite. We were told it is a Red Orpington but unsure and
2EC4982B-768D-43E9-90E7-F9DBF220A73C.jpeg
CA189679-2AE0-4869-A104-0A0086AE1FDC.jpeg
sex is unknown. Any guesses?

I am leaning toward Pullet for this one. Orpingtons don't have super big combs compared to some breeds. There is a Red Orpington color variation. Thought to have been mixed with a Sussex or RIR to create the color. A good way to definitively determine breed is by comparing all the major attributes - leg color, comb type & size, egg color & size - some breeds can be easily determined by feather colors and patterns, others not so much.

Its a pretty bird, no matter its precise classification!

I am leaning toward Pullet for this one. Orpingtons don't have super big combs compared to some breeds. There is a Red Orpington color variation. Thought to have been mixed with a Sussex or RIR to create the color. A good way to definitively determine breed is by comparing all the major attributes - leg color, comb type & size, egg color & size - some breeds can be easily determined by feather colors and patterns, others not so much.

Its a pretty bird, no matter its precise classification!
We love her/him. So friendly and pretty.

Can you get a picture of it standing without the fence in the way? I believe I see darker red on the shoulders which is concerning trait if you want a pullet. Looks like Red Orpington! Congrats on getting your hands on one. Very uncommon!

Can you get a picture of it standing without the fence in the way? I believe I see darker red on the shoulders which is concerning trait if you want a pullet. Looks like Red Orpington! Congrats on getting your hands on one. Very uncommon!
Yes! I will try to get a better pic tomorrow.

It is the one on the left in the first photo.
AE0FFC06-B7F5-460D-B0E8-2AE99A78BCCA.jpeg
3C97C5F2-D88B-467D-911C-F8B07904CA52.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom