Breed Selection Suggestions

Auscal

Songster
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
After a ten year break, I am excited to be getting some chickens again. I have some specific requirements, and am looking for suggestions from the enthusiats here on what breed/s may suit.

*Heat Tolerant. It's very hot and dry here in summer (Inland So Cal) , and even the winters are mild - only below freezing maybe 5-10 nights a year.

*Temperament must be gentle, cal, preferable social - not flighty at all

*Prefer a smaller hen - mature weight of around 5 1/2 lbs (definitely not bantams though)

*Good to very good egg layer (don't care about egg color)

*A fairly traditional look - no beards, muff, or leg feathering etc

*I am open to all feather coloring.

I have been doing some research, and my main problem has been finding birds that combine the smaller size with a calm temperament.

Thankyou in advance for any and all suggestions & comments.

Wyandotte? I'm not sure if that fits the size requirement, but I look for the biggest I can get
lol.png
Good luck
smile.png

Thankyou for the suggestions.

Visually I prefer Single Combs - which rules out Wyandottes.

The catalogue I have lists the Hamburg temperment as Active - i prefer docile :)

Cinnamon Queen, Black Star, RIR, BR all seem good options. Red Star (or any red sex link ) also seems good. I also wondering about Australorp, Delaware & Welsummer. it seems many sites refer to cold tolerant, but, heat rarely rates a mentions.

I'm still soliciting comments and suggestions, please.

I know everyone says White Leghorns are flighty and crazy, but it would meet all your other requirements to a T. Mine is fairly friendly and one of my favorites, but she is also the only one I have, so I certainly can't say I'm an expert on the breed! If you hatch them or get them as chicks and handle them a lot, they are probably more tame/ calm, no matter what breed. I clip all my girls' wings.

Quote:
Australorps are a good choice
smile.png
They're a bit heavier than the other breeds but very quiet and definetely heat tolerant!
big_smile.png

I suggest you go to Feathersite.com and they have photos, breed histories, size and temperment on all breeds of poultry. I really loved my Speckled Sussex hen. She wasn't overly large, was very friendly, beautiful and a great layer! Good Luck and have fun!
big_smile.png

I live in so cal inland and I like my BLR wyandottes and they get along well.
I have three roosters in with 18 hens right now and they all get along.
No fighting, no feather plucking, the saddles on the hens are in perfect condition.
It doesn't even look like I have any roo's in with them.
Whatever breed you decide on you have to be passionate about them, so do your research.

Australorps so und perfect for you! They are a tad heavier but are calm and lay lots of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom